What to do with some free wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ozi

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was lucky enough to be given some free wood that was about to be skipped. It's a Japanese hard wood that was used to make some packing crates. 50mm square section lengths from 150mm up to about 1500 mm. About 5m worth in total with quite a few screw holes scattered about. No idea why anyone would make crates for really nasty ply and reinforce with good hard wood?

I couldn't see it scrapped so it's in my that'el be useful pile. It would make lovely chess men but I'm not a turner. I'm looking for ideas that require beginner level skills, any suggestions?

Free wood, the best kind and really good to re-purpose rather than it going to landfill. Just be careful. Last time I was about to take an old packing crates from where I worked, I discovered it had been impregnated with something really stinking. I think it was some kind of pesticide.

Free wood, the best kind and really good to re-purpose rather than it going to landfill. Just be careful. Last time I was about to take an old packing crates from where I worked, I discovered it had been impregnated with something really stinking. I think it was some kind of pesticide.
One of the stamps to look out for is MB. This is highly toxic insecticide so I understand.

Free wood is great except you have to find something to make with it.

I have 4 1ft 4x4 oak blocks???

Length of 8ft 2x8 iroko

Several Sapele window frames....

Still waiting for inspiration / skills to go it justice!

Cheers James

Do you have enough for a bench? Have a look on Pinterest
1631473920776.png

Free throwaway wood gets used for prototypes, practice, and jigs. Screw holes then don’t matter. I have enough for a dozen lifetimes of practicing and jig making. Must stop skip diving.

Talking of skip diving, our local 'household waste disposal' site lets one throw unwanted wood/timber away, BUT they will not let anyone take any out! What is the matter with these 'jobworthies'?

Talking of skip diving, our local 'household waste disposal' site lets one throw unwanted wood/timber away, BUT they will not let anyone take any out! What is the matter with these 'jobworthies'?
Once it's in the skip it's their property, from which they earn money, so technically removing it is theft.

And yet, they're always complaining about how much is it costs... 🙄
True, but even skips on the street have weird restrictions. Technically the renter of a skip retains ownership of its contents, so unauthorised removing of contents is theft. However, as soon as the skip rental company raises it off the ground, then all rights of onership are passed to the skip hire company and any attempt to recover items, either by original owner of the skip contents or by skip diving is also a case of theft.

I have had stuff from skips in past, timber etc, but I always ask the renter, for permission first. It sounds a bit OCD, but saves any hassles.

Hi all,

I was lucky enough to be given some free wood that was about to be skipped. It's a Japanese hard wood that was used to make some packing crates. 50mm square section lengths from 150mm up to about 1500 mm. About 5m worth in total with quite a few screw holes scattered about. No idea why anyone would make crates for really nasty ply and reinforce with good hard wood?

I couldn't see it scrapped so it's in my that'el be useful pile. It would make lovely chess men but I'm not a turner. I'm looking for ideas that require beginner level skills, any suggestions?
How about hand/dremel carving the chess pieces? Could be one of those projects that you keep for when you have nothing else to do and keep coming back to, could potentially also make a chessboard from it by alternating the grain pattern or staining to give the squares.

Do what everyone else does and tuck it into the corner of the workshop, shifting it around every few years for at least a decade. 😉
Had to laugh, that’s me exactly. I just can’t seem to part with things “in case I need them”.

Eek's yer man Piet Hein Eek Furniture
He used to do almost only reclaimed scrap but apparently ran out due to demand so had to diversify into better quality materials.

Last edited:
If you have a bandsaw it would make good stock for small boxes.
There's little that can't be made into a wee box, that's what I keep telling myself.

Latest posts

Back