What to do with mahogany...?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aragorn

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been given quite a large pile of old mahogany, all sorts of lengths and sizes.

Thankful though I am, this isn't my favourite wood and I don't have much inspiration with what to make with it.

Mahogany doesn't seem to lend itself too well to more modern designs, which is what I normally make.

I'm not opposed to dark woods - I use black walnut all the time - but there's something about the texture and grain of mahogany that always takes me back to ugly old wardrobes in a dank Victorian semi.

Anyone have any links to furniture sites or galleries that have more contemporary designs in mahogany for inspiration, or some ideas yourselves?

Nice gloat Aragorn :0

I too came into some Mahonany recently FOC and completely agree with your point.
To be honest I only use it to make small boxes or inlays in a lighter wood

However, I did trim the router table edge with it and then finished it with Patina which resulted in a colour not far from that of Oak - I am posting picture in afew minutes

So that's where I've been going wrong all this time! Try again:

Huh. Mahogany eh? Who wants that. Terrible stuff. Easy to work, doesn't move much, carves well. Humph, just hope to goodness a big pile of that doesn't land in my lap. :roll:

<waits expectantly>

Failing that, my address is....

Cheers, Alf

P.S. Don't know of any sites off hand, but there's a bit of mahogany here, and not overly Victorian:
033coffeetable.JPG

it most certainly is true that Mahogany works really well and cuts beautifully with a chisel.
I'll try much harder to fit it in to my furniture :oops:

Thanks Alf and Tony.
I like the two-tone effect. This might be the best way to go. Seems to complement the ash well.

Do you think the minimal replies means others feel similarly about mahogany, or has it just gone a bit quiet around here recently?

Hi everyone....

Damn computers have forced me to be unable to post for a good 2/3 weeks :evil: :?

Mean :? while i have been making a coffee table out of some mahogany, but for the top i did mahog. round the edges and maple in the middle...

I'll get some pics asap :wink:

Ta

Tom

EDIT* See my new post in general woodworking for pics :wink:

Aragorn":37yszu1l said:
Do you think the minimal replies means others feel similarly about mahogany, or has it just gone a bit quiet around here recently?
I'm afraid it's probably the former. Mahogany seems to be a bit out of fashion at the moment - pale woods are what everyone wants. Funnily enough I'm actually thinking of using mahogany for my next project, if it's not too pricy (I haven't looked yet), mainly 'cos the room it/they will go in already has a good deal of mahogany in it. Before you ask, yep, it's a different room from where the ash table has gone. It does make a great contrast wood to more lively-figured paler timbers though, IMO. A bit warmer than walnut, f'rinstance.

Cheers, Alf

Hi All
Sorry-I hadn't replied because...
1: I love mahogany!
2: I agree it is used a lot in traditional furniture.

All it takes is some inspirational pieces of cutting edge furniture in mahogany to change that!! Get to it Aragorn :wink:
cheers
Philly :D
Who will happily take it off your hands......

Ah ha! Challenge accepted!
Cutting edge design in mahog coming right up (in about 10-12 weeks after current tuit is done/lost). :wink:

Back