What to do with all this woodworking machinery?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tree888

Reaction score
Hi, as a newbie on this forum I wanted to ask your advice. My step-father was a highly skilled joiner, having served his apprenticeship in the north-east shipyards. Unfortunately he has now gone into a care home but his shed is full of machinery from a Clarke bandsaw to a Wadkin Bursgreen mortising machine to a Morso picture framing guillotine. The shed is also full of boxes of screws and other ironmongery. He wants it to go to someone who is going to use it and he also needs money to pay towards some of his care home costs so any advice on the best place to sell this ideally as a job lot? His house is up near Bedale/Northallerton in North Yorkshire. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you thought of a garage sale, ask how much interest there would be for people to attend. The other choice is to put the items in the for sale section on this forum and job lot the smaller odds and sods.

I'd be interested in the bandsaw and would be happy to transport anything else down south?

Cheers James

put some pic on here and Im sure people will give indications of prices

the Wadkin morticer is probably a tradesmen -not a Wadkin machine. It should fetch around £400 - £500 -unfortunately morticers are not that popular since the domino etc took over

the Morso guillotine is a very popular machine -even rusty ones fetch £500

Im sorry ot hear about your step father -I went through the same thing with my Dad and Father in law in the last few years -its not great and care home fees are shocking (my FILs were £6k a month -his life savings disappeared real quick)

I would list the 3 machines on ebay, or at least the two green ones. If there are any brass screws, list them as a job lot also.
Ask the local men's shed if they will clear the shed for you in return for anyththig else they find of value. They would probably be doing you the favour. Not vice versa, so they may well say no. Old steel screws, opened bottles and cans of paint etc have no value, just a cost in time and fuel to dispose of or £250 of skip hire.
Mens Sheds are charities, not buyers. Don't let them think they will get the machines and then sell them elsewhere. It's infuriating as a Shed to take a van and bunch of guys, clear someone's garage for them only to have to pay commercial rates to dispose of clutter that has no value and no real use.

Sorry if that's harsh but unless you have an abundance of time on hand, it is realistic.
Been there.

The wadkin & other machines should sell easily, I would put them on, www.homeworkshop.org.uk, its a free site & bloody good for shifting good quality machines.
I agree with Sideways that a lot of stuff will simply be unsaleable. I was asked a few years back by father in law to clear a workshop for an old family friend, It was said " You cant make any money its all got to go to his widow".
So four 8 hour days clearing garbage & scrap metal. Over 40 bin bags full of rubbish & about a ton of scrap metal at the time worthless. Four trips to the tip & half a tank of petrol.
I sold a welder to a guy & it blew up the next day so i had to give him his money back. The one machine that was saleable was a fobco drill, it didnt make a lot & i kept it.

Mod edit: Corrected URL for the UK site.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back