what to do when theres a cable running up wall

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cult

Established Member
Reaction score
Installing kitchen wall units and ive came across a problem. I have a cable running up the wall where ive to screw in a wall bracket for my adjustable bracket to level up and make plumb.

If there is another cabinet alongside it, just miss it out and screw the two cabinets together through the sides. The bracket in the adjoining cabinet should bear the weight of both. If you feel that you need to fix the other as well, screw a bracket to the top of the cabinet, off to the side of the wire and fix that to the wall. Or you could fix a strip of wood to the back of the cabinet at the top and screw wherever you want through that.

skipdiver":2f9xx2r5 said:
If there is another cabinet alongside it, just miss it out and screw the two cabinets together through the sides. The bracket in the adjoining cabinet should bear the weight of both. If you feel that you need to fix the other as well, screw a bracket to the top of the cabinet, off to the side of the wire and fix that to the wall. Or you could fix a strip of wood to the back of the cabinet at the top and screw wherever you want through that.

The electrician must not like me because theres cables mostly where these brackets go :( I might just use the timber at back all over. What should i do if the wall is out of plumb and its noticeable at the side of the wall unit.

Are you fitting decor end pannels? If so and any gaps are not too big shape the end pannels to suit.

Not knowing the design of the cabinets you are using, is it possible to use a French cleat to hang the cab, with the wall mounted half avoiding the cable?

Chris

I was just about to suggest a French cleat, or whatever they used to be called. If it's thick enough it could have a channel cut into the back of it so it wouldn't have to avoid the cable, but there's little downside to just using two separate pieces attached either side.

Except with a hanging cleat the OP could be hanging today, within what, 20 minutes? Not waiting on a delivery, or the post.

isn't the metal hanging strip the same as a French cleat effectively but being metal it can be very low profile. if the wall is not flat you'll need to pack it out to make sure the two strips are straight or it won't slot together.
Neil

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I've used those hanging strips and they save a lot of time and effort. as long as you are careful to fix the level they simplify the whole job and make it easy for one person to lift and hang the cabinets. i would use them every time now, just a pity they weren't available when I was fitting a lot of kitchens.

Never seen one of those hanging strips before.

Whatever system you use to attach them, the walls being out of plumb will be the same, so if they are, you will need to cover any gaps. End panels usually take care of the problem if you have an end on view that is. A lot of times you don't get to see an exposed end, so it doesn't matter. A selection of plastic packers of varying thickness can come in handy for plumbing wall units prior to fitting end panels.

When I refitted my Kitchen I tiled the walls leaving the shape of the cabinets bare. The cabinets sit in the spaces on top of the tiles and then were simply screwed through the backs. This way it was a one man job as the cabinets were set level on the tiles and the screws only keep the cabinets against the wall, All the weight being taken by the tiles. I then siliconed around the edges to give a neat finish.

Gerry

Gerry":xhwx1emo said:
When I refitted my Kitchen I tiled the walls leaving the shape of the cabinets bare. The cabinets sit in the spaces on top of the tiles and then were simply screwed through the backs. This way it was a one man job as the cabinets were set level on the tiles and the screws only keep the cabinets against the wall, All the weight being taken by the tiles. I then siliconed around the edges to give a neat finish.

Gerry

Obviously works for you Gerry but having fitted several hundred kitchens it's not a method I would use. Of course apart from my own home they were fitted for customers and I couldn't take any risks.

The problems I could see with that method apart from relying on tiles to carry the weight, is that you are also relying on getting a good fixing with every screw, not always possible as in the case of the OP and a nightmare on stud walls, even worse with "eggbox" type which are quite common in modern houses.
I don't like screws showing inside cupboards either so in cases where extra fixing was desirable found a better method was to fix brackets or a dresses batten above the cupboard where it would be hidden by the cornice.

Many of my kitchens were fitted by me without help and all you need to if not using a hanging strip is screw a temporary thin batten along the wall to rest the base of the cabinet on while it's fixed, this is then later removed and tiles or backsplash fitted under.

I use lengths of 2x2 and rebate them the full length creating an "L" shape along the length. I then screw these to the wall and attach the cabinets to them.

Working on my own, I find it's easy to lift the cabinets onto the bottom strip, get a screw into the top then as many more as you like top and bottom.

The other advantage of this, especially if there are 2 of you, is that you can screw through the strips from the outside so no screw heads inside your cabinet.

Back