what to buy!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomaskennedy

Established Member
Reaction score
hi,
hopefully i will be coming into some money within the next couple of months! soooo....i have made a list of what im gonna buy see what you guys (and gals) think:

1.Dovetail jig (the one from screwfix)
2.jointer (dont know which one yet but one for around £100)
3.Thicknesser
4.bandsaw

if you have any suggestions please let me know cos i dont want to waste my money on poor tools!!

Cheers

Tom

Hi Thomas,
I have the Axminster dovetail jig and while it works fine it will not do through dovetails nor variable spacing, something you may require if you want to make a living from woodworking.On the same theme a cheap jointer or thicknesser won't last very long if it has to "Work" for a living.Alf and many other on this forum will tell you to joint by hand until you can afford quality machines.Everybody makes mistakes when buying,just try to make as few as possible,try tools/machines whenever you can BEFORE you part with you cash.

Hi Thomas

I fully support Jaymars comments, I think we are all guilty of rushing out to buy, only to find that a bit more thought could have saved us a lot of money.

regarding the dovetail jig, I would recommend that you do these by hand. I have the Leigh jig, which is very good, but not been out the box for a couple of years. I find it more satisfying (albeit time consuming) to do them by hand.

There are a lot of machines out there to fit all pockets but I thinks caution is the name of the game and only buy it if you really need it. You could always spend the money on good quality hand tools. I find I get more satisfaction from using them than the machines.

Happy Buying

Waka

well ive read your rplies and have been thinking,

1.i have heard from alot of people that a dovetail jig doesn't get used that often and is time consuming in setting it up, so this is off my list now!

2.i have decided to get this band saw ( hmm. cant find it on their website but it is the one in Machine Mart on p277 priced at around £150) and i will buy a decent blade.

3.the jointer i will get from B&Q most likely :oops: unless i see another one.

4. the thicknesser is on p277 of the machine mart catalogue (once again i cant find it on thier site) it is priced at around £170

Cheers

Tom

Tom

A word of warning. Watch out for a £100 jointer. I originally bought a Nutool jointer - gone now. I regretted this fairly quickly as it is very limited due to small width and the beds were too short to flatten wood properly. Also, the fence was a joke and I had to make a replacement within a couple of weeks.
As you want a thicknesser too, then look at the SIP planer thichnesser for <£399. It comes with an induction motor and so is realtively quiet and has a huge bed for jointing + a really strong fence. Cheap jointers and portable thickessers use a brushed motor which runs very loudly due to the commuttor/brush assembly

Cheers

Tony

I got my SIP from a shop in Leicesterabout 6-8 months ago. I was there last week and they have them in stock. Don't know current price but I paid £399 incl.

Welford Ironmongers is the shop, directory enquiries will have the number, don't think they have a website.

Yep, I was going to suggest what Tony says about getting a P/T instead. SIP currently have an offer of a package deal of their P/T with a dust extractor, and you'll want one of them, for a penny short of £500. Anyone got a link? (it's just like the Axminster one anyway, I believe) Not sure about the bandsaw - Clarke CBS250 10" throat, 4" depth £152.69 peeps. Looks very similar to the Axminster AWSBS. Personally I tend to steer clear of Clarke machines, but that may be personal prejudice, so I'd opt for the Axminster instead. Hey, it's cheaper too :D

Cheers, Alf

Just putting my twopence worth in to suport Alf's point. I tried various items of clarke gear in my early days and find it is of variable quality.

if you need to buy from machinemart it might be worth delaying a bit...buy something cheap form them now and give them your postal address. Then, every 3-4 months they have repeat customer events where you get a personal invite and they knock 10% off everything and 17.5% off Clark kit. They normally have one in early spring....

My experience of clark stuff is mixed - they are Ok for simple stuff where accuracy and build quality is not a problem, but i've not been too impressed with some of their more complex stuff...think mortiser.

i got the dewalt 738 bandsaw from machinemart and so far i've been happy with it for the money - I've rip cut upto 150mm cherry with it successfully on the oem blade which is still giving service, and its light enough to lift one and off the workmate and move around the workshow when i need more clearance for long timber

I have found Axminster gear to be reasonable but they do rate their products for different uses.If you read their catalogue it explains the different categories,hobby ,trade etc.If you are serious about making furniture professionally you will need machines that will cope with daily use.Have a look round the second hand market, look on ebay,do a bit of research.I only dabble in woodwork as a hobby but I have found good equipment goes a long way to doing a good job.

I have the SIP planer/thicknesser and I really can't find fault with it at all.

In fact, I was at the Scottish Woodworking show at the weekend and learned a few new tips from the SIP guys for working with it.

And I just discovered that the planer knives are double-sided, so when they become blunt, you just remove them and reverse them.

Hmm...I really can't find anything bad to say about the machine...except that it is very blood heavy!!

And, on the subject of dove-tail jigs, SIP are doing one which is remarkably similar to the perfom/screwfix one for £35 inc vat.

At this price, it's probably worth getting...I've heard a few folk say that once they actually get it set up, it produces quite good results.

Thoms, since you've got this money burning a hole in your pocket, have you considered the Woodrat? I had a chance to play with this at the weekend and was very impressed! It really does take the labour and inaccuracy out of cutting joints, and lets you concentrate on designing and building your work-pieces!

Mark.

SIP web address is

http://www.sip-group.com/

And the download for the PDF brouchre is

http://www.sip-group.com/Promotion%20PD ... orking.pdf

I have two welding sets by SIP and they have given me years of loyal service.

I have seen the SIP setup in the flesh last year in a local show and thought it was very well made for its price
I do belive Good Woodworking has tested it and given it good marks for its price.

I cant make up my mind to go for it myself or the Dewalt 733 the seperates road.

Woodrat? Did someone mention the Woodrat? Now we're talking....

This thread is starting to look interesting!!! :wink: :shock: :lol:

Adam

thomaskennedy":2se0u2f4 said:
(of the Woodrat) actually i was thinking of buying one but have been advised not to!

Oh God, here we go. Anyone lend me use of their bunker?

A

Back