What three items are you no longer using?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam

Established Member
Reaction score
When I read the title of Chris's recent post - "What would you sell and why" - I thought it was going to be about picking three items in your workshop - which you bought - but no longer (or indeed ever) used.

For me its:

1) Two Cherries Chisels.
2) Old Marples #5 Plane
3) Gents Saw

I'm thnking of general items, rather than something which would be useful if it was higher quality. E.g. I bought a Screwfix tap and die set - it's so poor quality it's unusable - but would be useful if it was better. The items above are simply things whose function has been superceeded.

The reasons being, I picked up some real nice boxwood chisels at a car boot for a very reasonable price the following weekend - and they feel so nice to use - the handles are so smooth - I always pick them up in preference to the two cherries. The marples plane - simply doesn't provide any function my current planes don't already provide. E.g. I use a #7 jointer for nearly everything. 1 in 100 times I use a #4.5 smoother, and the occasional block/shoulder plane. It just doesn't get used. Finally, the gents saw, (not sure it's even been out of the packet) I have a japanese pull saw - and reach for it every time.

Anyone else suffer this?

Adam":1vwefspa said:
Anyone else suffer this?
Are you kidding?! :roll:

Adam":1vwefspa said:
I'm thnking of general items, rather than something which would be useful if it was higher quality.
Well I dunno, Adam. Seems to me two out of three are on there 'cos you've got something better instead. :? Anyway, my three:

1) Rip saws* - all of them. It's no good kidding myself I either enjoy, or am any good at, using them.
2) Mortising attachment for the drill press. Ghastly device. Tried setting it up once, never seen the light of day again.
3) Can I have the T/S & spindle moulder half of the Maxi?

Cheers, Alf

* Hand saws with a rip tooth configuration and low ppi, not back saws sharpened rip.

I would have to say;

1. Gent's Saw
2. Veritas Dovetail Markers

Can't think of a third at the moment.

Think I used the gent saw once or twice but soon after I got it I bought a dovetail saw and now reach for that everytime.

Don't think I've ever used the markers as I have a dovetail jig and when I do cut the odd dovetail or two by hand, I forget I have the markers and use a sliding bevel instead :roll:

Alf":fp9jklvs said:
Seems to me two out of three are on there 'cos you've got something better instead. :?

Well maybe :oops: But to add an extra comment, even if it was a LN#5, not a Marples - I still wouldn't use it. The thin blade of the japanese saw makes it easy to use, and the chisels, well, I just found the handles made such a difference to the pleasure of using them. It's not so much a quality issue (I'm sure they both hold a good edge) it's more the fact as it's a hobby, the old handles just seem nicer, more balanced and are a pleasure to use.

Adam

1. Record 50 - bought new in 1965 and hardly ever used.
2. Full set of pattern makers gouges bought because I thought I needed that sort for some curvy stuff before I learnt a bit about carving
3. A number of waterstones bought before I realised the only one I want is the 8000 grit because I prefer other ways to get there.

I could go on but mercifully you only asked for three things! :oops: :roll:

waterhead37":130j12py said:
1. Record 50 - bought new in 1965 and hardly ever used.
Oh, the tragedy. :cry: :cry:

Adam, the #5 was the one I didn't consider an upgrade issue. I'd probably have put mine down too, except you never know, one day... From Two Cherries to anything with boxwood handles is an upgrade. :)

Cheers, Alf

Everything from the mortiser to the Router Table....i walk in the workshop with the best intentions in the world, then a undescribable force propels me to the lathe in the corner to make yet another goblet/bowl/candlestick :( :( :( :(

Sandvik tenon saw. I use a cheapo one from Wickes instead. The Sandvik had movement in the shaft and seemed blunt right from the start, yet I expected more for the money. I've tried to reset it twice but alas to no avail

Rapesco Nailer - Don't get one. Pants big style.

Some cheap spring clamps that were an impulse buy in the local £ store. Sunday morning, only place open, needed to clamp some small mouldings. Got what I paid for, including 2 stitches in my finger when the flaming thing snapped !!!!

Mobile machine base. One of those where you add the hardwood stretchers. Bought it for my Jet thicknesser. When it arrived I realised it came on castors anyhow. Subsequently bought a Jet sanding station. Guess what ? Castors as well. Now, still boxed gathering dust.

Jeff

Difficult one if you are not allowing things that were replaced with better quality items

1 Mortising attachment for the drill press - rubbish and due for the bin!!
2 Record plane - don't know the number. It has a fence and you can put the blade in two positions. Garbage!!!
3 no number 3 within the rules :(

(3 would have been my linisher, hated and unused for 2+ years but used 6 or 7 times in the last week :shock: and I quite like it now :? )

However, Stanley and Record block and bench planes are almost no longer used due to LN/Clifton upgrade.
Two cherries very rarely used since Ashley Iles stepped in

Tony":3o5obnyf said:
2 Record plane - don't know the number. It has a fence and you can put the blade in two positions. Garbage!!!
Sounds like a #078/#778. Good plane, even the more recent ones; what's the problem?

Cheers, Alf

Alf":3j04tddv said:
Tony":3j04tddv said:
Sounds like a #078/#778. Good plane, even the more recent ones; what's the problem?

Cheers, Alf

might be a 78 (do you have a picture of one? (daft quesion :oops: ) )- only 2-3 years old (or brand new if you count the times it ahs been used :) )

Just don't get on with it at all. I wanted to use it for cutting rebates, as a shoulder plane and as a bullnose but it only really worked OK as a rebating plane

Might need a tune-up but I got frustrated with it and there it lies, forlorn and unloved. I will try it one more time but if it annoys, it goest!

Tony":287ax0mi said:
might be a 78 (do you have a picture of one? (daft quesion :oops: ) )- only 2-3 years old (or brand new if you count the times it ahs been used :) )
Must be a #778 then. The #078 was discontinued sometime between 1972 and 1980. Assuming it is definitely a Record...? Picture of the #778 here. The #078 is the same, except it just has one fence rod.

Just don't get on with it at all. I wanted to use it for cutting rebates, as a shoulder plane and as a bullnose but it only really worked OK as a rebating plane
Ah, so essentially it disappointed 'cos it wasn't much good at doing things it wasn't designed to do...? :p

Might need a tune-up but I got frustrated with it and there it lies, forlorn and unloved. I will try it one more time but if it annoys, it goest!
Tsk. <resists urge to type "if it does go, let me know first" :oops: >

Cheers, Alf

Rapesco Nailer - Don't get one. Pants big style.

seconded - utter rubbish..

Also my Axminster masonry drill for fixing brackets - can't lift the thing and looks and handles like its from the steam age.

and my Axminster circular saw - will be replaced by something beginning with F and ending in estool soon. :lol:

T

edit: sorry Adam, just re read your part about superseding rather thanm quality, which rather discounts my 2 and 3!

so here's a couple more:

My Philips head screwdrivers - I can't think of the last time I used one in preference of either my Metabo powergripr or a bit in my drill/ driver or when I have, I've stopped to go and find it!

Pin hammer - I can get such a better result using a veneer pinner - no punch needed or danger of crushing a moulding (or thumb).

T

1/ Bench jointer

2/ thickness planer

3/ ummmm... so many to choose from... lecky planer..??? yea that'll do...... see a trend here..?

1 chop saw

2 lecky planer

3 belt sander

3 1/2 my brain now and again, i put it down there i think ???

Alf":d6ri6zzx said:
Tony":d6ri6zzx said:
Must be a #778 then. The #078 was discontinued sometime between 1972 and 1980. Assuming it is definitely a Record...? Picture of the #778 here. The #078 is the same, except it just has one fence rod.

Tsk. <resists urge to type "if it does go, let me know first" :oops: >

Cheers, Alf

It is indeed the one in the photo #778 - lighter blue though.

I will try it and see - meant to last night but forgot that I had arranged to take mrs T out to the cinema to see Ocean's 12 - very good/funny film!! :lol: :lol:

I have tried to give said plane away to three different people over the past 2 years, but they all refused to accept it :shock:

Tony,

The 778 is a useful plane that works very well. I'm sorry you haven't got on with it.

It is great for kids if you want to do a bit of rebating and don't trust them with a router.

For me it's my:

1. Jet morticer - the Rat and/or my router with 2 fences saw it to bed
2. My Veritas Dovetail Markers (nioce tool but I have now a great one from Woodjoy tools that does 2 sides at the same time, the Veritas ones are a little too short on one side to do that
3. My American style Wooden Clamps (hand screw type) - good job I bought the cheapos from Dick and not the expensive ones!

Latest posts

Back