What the hell is wrong with MDF ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shady":mwyhmxl4 said:
a) The Carcinogenic risk from the mdf dust: this equates to that from softwood - you are at more risk of cancer from any hardwood dust you produce than from MDF.
I have a theory- don't groan. My theory is that MDF produces more fine dust than ply or "real" wood, so while the dust per se is no worse than any other, the quantities you're exposed to are considerably more. Does that seem reasonable?

Shady":mwyhmxl4 said:
Put it this way: Alf is at far greater risk from all that radon that the granite is chucking out down her way than from any MDF dust.
You're telling me. We live in a granite house, on granite, surrounded by granite quarries; currently we await the results of a Radon test we did over the summer. The first one we did quite a few years back, while the house was unoccupied (so we hope the lack of air flow was a huge contributing factor), wasn't good at all...
unsure.gif

Cheers, Alf

Radon's a radioactive gas... naturally present in rock like granite...

<in the same pickle as Alf...

Alf: I suspect you are entirely correct - per 'unit volume', MDF will produce more dust, because of it's construction. However, with proper filters/dust masks and collecters, this should be no more of an issue than any other dust.

My point is simply that the formaldehyde scare is probably a red herring, in that its contribution as a health hazard is so small as to equate to worrying about our increased risk of death by lightning strike because we hold metal tools when woodworking... This sort of reasoning leads to living to be 100, but in a padded cell on a drip of sterile sugar solution - and who wants 100 years of that??

Alf, Mike, did you have those little yellow sensor things? Advised to leave them on top of a wardrobe for a month or so and then send them back?
We had them a few years ago, and of course forgot where they came from......Nearest rock is "our" mountain, on the avatar, but it might be basalt as opposed to granite.

Noel

never seen that Noely... around here, it'd cost to much... Aberdeen's called the Granite City for a reason..

Was kicked back a while ago by City Archetects dept when I enquired if I could insulate the external walls... damn houses leak heat faster than a politician leaks secrets... was told we need to maintain the wall cavity to provide proper ventilation... the only way to disperse the gas....

Hi chaps
Been off line for 9 months and trying to catch up on all the postings first topic thats caught my eye is this one on MDF, very interesting. I picked up 15 18mm sheets from the new B&Q here in Dublin at 16 euros a sheet to make 2 wardrobes and 2 bookcases starting tomorrow for a client that wants to paint them herself. The clients i get that are 35 upwards like wood to look like wood but the younger ones prefer a paint finish. Is this a reversal in trends? Or is it because they hear my london accent and say he sounds like a cheap B we will get it done in MDF till we have the money for a real chippy :D
Anyway its good to be back on line
Cheers Steve

Noely":23s0bdoo said:
Alf, Mike, did you have those little yellow sensor things?
Yep

Advised to leave them on top of a wardrobe for a month or so and then send them back?
Yep

We had them a few years ago, and of course forgot where they came from......
National Radon Protection Board in all likelihood. Bit late now though...
biggrin.gif

Cheers, Alf

I cut up and routed some oak-veneered MDF for some bookshelves for the kitchen last friday, and as the garage doors were open back and front I din't use dust extraction or a mask - although the air filter was on. I didn't feel right on saturday or sunday - very bunged up. Next time I'll wear a proper mask and use extraction. Anyone got a recommendation for good quality masks - I' can't afford a full mask/shield like the trend airshield, but the airace is a possibility...

Pete

Pete,

I use MDF a lot and I find the Airace to be really good. The filters last a long time and its light plus because of the exhaust valve it doesn't get too hot.

I've been reading the posts about people feeling groggy, bunged up etc and thinking that I must be lucky but maybe its the mask. I always use extraction and an air filter which I usually let run on for at least 2 hours after I leave the workshop.

Hope this helps

T

The Trend Airace is the one to go for. It does interfere with your downward vision, though, so don't leave anything trip-overable on the floor.
The main thing about the airace is the huge filter area, it means it is much easier to suck air through, and therefore more pleasant to wear than cartridge masks
John

yes the airace is the one ,frank with visions of john tripping over the t/saw bench ect :lol: :lol:

Midnight":2hb87jak said:
I get the feeling that I... am getting a lecture.

Lectures are free, but you should be warned that I charge for psychoanalysis ;) :).

Gill

johnelliott":3a4oajtr said:
The Trend Airace is the one to go for.

Thanks John

johnelliott":3a4oajtr said:
It does interfere with your downward vision, though, so don't leave anything trip-overable on the floor.

I knew there'd be a catch - sometimes I think my floor is just one trip hazard! :shock: :wink:

Pete

The AirAce is superb, no airborne nastiness gets through it *and* you get to look a bit like Darth Vader into the bargain. What more could you want?
:D

V.

you get to look a bit like Darth Vader

That'll be a "Galactic Wood Emperor" then?
:lol: :lol: :lol: ...that's still tickling me! :roll:

Back