What the Flock

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garden Shed Projects

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I am making these 2 jewellery boxes for my daughters and am going to flock the inside. They are the first thing of this sort I have made. They are a little more rustic than I intended but I am happy with them

I intend to flock the insides to overcome some of the bandsaw marks. Bought a cheap kit off of eBay but having never done it before wondered if any one had any tips.
8395D3D3-FDA6-4D69-8CDC-D4BF6624B722.jpeg

This brought back memories, back in the early 70s in the workshop at College, if it didn’t go right the cry would go up "Oh flock it" as in, it's the only thing to cover up all the mistakes!
Too many years ago now to be of any use to you I’m afraid, but if memory serves, paint the glue on, tip the flock in, shake it about a lot and tip out the excess. Probably a good idea to vacuum it when it’s dry as well, I’m sure we only used PVA. Ian

The raised portions are handles. Both kids under 6 so need to be chunky. The 2 holes are from nails in the reclaimed timber. Not too sure what to do with them yet.
Understood. Could you 'make' / turn / buy something like a wooden flower, put it on a stalk (thin cane?) and glue into the holes?
I.e. make into a decoration? For 'reclaimed' timber, they look amazing.
Bet you're in for a couple of big hugs!

Understood. Could you 'make' / turn / buy something like a wooden flower, put it on a stalk (thin cane?) and glue into the holes?
I.e. make into a decoration? For 'reclaimed' timber, they look amazing.
Bet you're in for a couple of big hugs!
Good idea, or a loop of leather to act as a handle?

Drill a 3rd hole, so it looks deliberate?

Flocking was (still is) a thing for car dashboards. That or 'crackle finish' like an MG Midget dash, budget end rather than the fancy wood veneers used by Triumph and Jaguar et al. I think the inside of car glove boxes & suchlike were often flocked before we got the one piece plastic mouldings. I knew a guy who flocked a mini cooper (outside, all of it) back in the early 70's. Looked great for a couple of months, then a muddy winter arrived.

A google for flocking car dashboard brings up lots, you might find some tips.

"I'm not very good at flocking" said the farmer, sheepishly.

Last edited:
I am making these 2 jewellery boxes for my daughters and am going to flock the inside. They are the first thing of this sort I have made. They are a little more rustic than I intended but I am happy with them

I intend to flock the insides to overcome some of the bandsaw marks. Bought a cheap kit off of eBay but having never done it before wondered if any one had any tips.
View attachment 110033
You have to use a flocking gun/sprayer to get a good result. You need the fibres standing up not laying down.
I’ve done a few using a cheep cardboard sprayer that I bought about 40 years ago and it still works today. Just paint the area you want covered with flock then pump on the flock while it’s wet. Use loads. Wait for it to dry then shake off the excess.

I am thinking of making 3 hearts for each from the darker wood and kinda scattering them across the area. Thanks for all the suggestions. I will post them on “the last thing I made” thread in the next few weeks once they are done.

Have a look on you tube at "Flocking with a home made flocker *tutorial*" Just two plastic glasses, works for the bloke on you tube!

I've used the 'Suede- Tex' kit a few times before giving up. It never looks anywhere near as good as baize or the artificial suedes available in rolls. Getting the special paint was difficult - I was ordering it from Lee Valley in Canada at the time. I read that you could use emulsion paint but that was a disaster - it dried to a rock hard consistency.
I think you will be disappointed if you use it on those nice boxes. :oops:

I've used flocking many times, found it very easy to apply and it has always looked good. It will certainly cover up any unwanted bandsaw marks. Be sure to spray on far too much of the powder so coverage is thorough. Leave it overnight and once its set the excess can be reclaimed for future use. The only reservation I have is how long it will continue to look good, especially if a box is heavily used. I'm sure your daughters will be delighted with their boxes. Cheers IanA

Last edited:
Back