What Table Saw to buy

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iansmith030

Reaction score
Hi folks,
Can someone please steer this very keen DIYer as I further my ventures. I would like to purchase my first table saw. I have a £400 budget, but it would seem it's a minefield to get it right; especially as I intend to do a lot of jointing as hence want to ensure I have a good cut in the first place. My research, for my budget, is steering me to the Bosch GTS 10J...Unfortunately though, there is zero stock nationally. So over to you folks... Please help.

I have just read the following on another thread... has anyone else noticed this?

i have a gts 10j and the mitre slots are not standard 3/4 inch so 3rd party accessories won't fit. I have found the pre-settings and the fence ok for simple non precise cutting although i don't rate the blade it came with and have beeter results with a freud 40t

I have just read the following on another thread... has anyone else noticed this?

i have a gts 10j and the mitre slots are not standard 3/4 inch so 3rd party accessories won't fit. I have found the pre-settings and the fence ok for simple non precise cutting although i don't rate the blade it came with and have beeter results with a freud 40t

Thanks for the Howes steer. Do you find the Bosch accurate enough for joining planks, etc?

Ive found it perfectly accurate, the trick with the fence, is that its slightly loose at the top to allow you to move it. When you go to lock it down, just apply a slight bit of pressure on the fence where it locks against the saw to make sure its at 90 degrees to the blade (hope that makes sense)

The blade that came with it was ok, I replaced with a Freud 40t also and use for most things, although I have recently bought a freud 24t rip but have yet to try it

Dont worry too much about accessories not fitting, I made a crosscut sled for mine to replace the mitre gauge (which is a rubbish fit in the runners)

When you say jointing boards - do you mean like edge jointing, so running it long a jig to get a flat reference edge?

Ive found it perfectly accurate, the trick with the fence, is that its slightly loose at the top to allow you to move it. When you go to lock it down, just apply a slight bit of pressure on the fence where it locks against the saw to make sure its at 90 degrees to the blade (hope that makes sense)

The blade that came with it was ok, I replaced with a Freud 40t also and use for most things, although I have recently bought a freud 24t rip but have yet to try it

Dont worry too much about accessories not fitting, I made a crosscut sled for mine to replace the mitre gauge (which is a rubbish fit in the runners)

When you say jointing boards - do you mean like edge jointing, so running it long a jig to get a flat reference edge?
Thank you, and yes, I am on about edge jointing as I intend to start crafting some table tops, etc.

I'd opt for a 2nd hand from ebay cast iron saw bench from yesteryear.
Might involve a van pick up, and beers to 4 mates to shift it into place, and further outlay to renovate it, but it will be a thousand times better than the tat we're being offered these days at that price.
(See other thread about quality control)
Example - OK nowhere near you, but this type of quality will last you forever.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WILMAC-B...431422?hash=item4b8df8ab3e:g:uK8AAOSwlKlgPpHP

I'd opt for a 2nd hand from ebay cast iron saw bench from yesteryear.
Might involve a van pick up, and beers to 4 mates to shift it into place, and further outlay to renovate it, but it will be a thousand times better than the tat we're being offered these days at that price.
(See other thread about quality control)
Example - OK nowhere near you, but this type of quality will last you forever.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WILMAC-B...431422?hash=item4b8df8ab3e:g:uK8AAOSwlKlgPpHP
I agree and was bidding for a Record one the other day. I then researched that to find out that this particular Record breaks all of time and withdrew my bid. I know the example you have put on is miles from me 😂, but still... Who says that old one is any better. There just never seems to be a unified agreement on any brand. 🙄

Sounds like you have space for a good'un with an induction motor and not a screaming universal one.
I think a larger table makes things safer, and if its a good yoke you might be inclined to
really get fimiliar with the machine and respect it more.
as in making a decent stable setup for it, making parts if needed,
not having the attitude of 'make do' with somethings, because you have seen the saws limitations and wanting to upgrade soon, so use the saw in anger.
On the other hand, having a nice smooth running saw that will last you the rest of your life, you might see reason to make things like solid jigs and abutments for the machine
rather than lashups for everything.

Weight is a good indicator of some things which might be seen as a feature.
Take double trunnions and hefty tables and other castings which will likely have been cast better.
If I was faced with looking for newer secondhand stuff, I'd bring a straight edge to check if the tables were flat.

And for real value if you're on a shoestring, worth looking at secondhand 3 phase, but dual voltage machines 220v,240v,D,Delta, or triangle symbol on the nameplate means it can be run easily with a VFD (hundred quid all in)
And can be run off the domestic plug, rather than needing 16a setup in your shed.
Your budget would get that sort of machine and it running.

Good luck
Tom

I’d agree with the above, if you have the space, I’d get a used cast one with induction motor. I have to share my space with a car, so everything has to be able to pack away hence me getting the Bosch, if I had room to keep one out all the time I wouldn’t have gone for it.

Hi folks,
Can someone please steer this very keen DIYer as I further my ventures. I would like to purchase my first table saw. I have a £400 budget, but it would seem it's a minefield to get it right; especially as I intend to do a lot of jointing as hence want to ensure I have a good cut in the first place. My research, for my budget, is steering me to the Bosch GTS 10J...Unfortunately though, there is zero stock nationally. So over to you folks... Please help.
If you are wanting something new, delivered in a few days and with a warranty I think this is about the best you are going to get: https://www.ffx.co.uk/Product/Get/Bosch-Gts635-216-0601B42070-3165140975391-240V-1600W-Table-Saw

A big old thing will probably be far better but more hassle sourcing and getting it delivered so just depends what your priorities are.

Depending what your use is...... id say cast iron as above if it is for a workshop and fixed position, or if portable, i fully recommend the dewalt table saws. Ive got a dw745 and the rack and pinion fence is outstanding.
The riving knife and guard are quick to remove from above, onboard tolls and push stick, very adjustable saw.

The PK is a limited edition version of a classic Wadkin saw in pink 😉

I'm shocked, I thought it was a quip and just a link to a standard PK in grey or something. Quite the surprise to actually see it in pink :LOL:

@Ian Smith30
The Wadkin PK dimension saw is like the epitome of saw benches. Big, heavy and super accurate with all the features you want in a saw. Solid sliding table, a proper guard, and a rock solid fence. And it looks like a saw should, it actually nice on the eyes(with the exception of the pink one 😱 , from the 1950's or thereabouts, so for it to still be sought after and in use 70 years later is testimony to its quality.

Most of us that have college and uni qualifications in this subject were trained on them. We then went off to workshops will lesser minimax saws that look like hobbyist equivalents

Back