What steps do you take in winter ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thecoder

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks

I work from my garage which I converted this summer , so therefore this will be my first winter with my tools in a very cold garage with no insulation..

I have the usual tools planer thicknesser,mitre saw table saw and router table and the usual hand power tools...What steps do you guys take to protect your tools from the elements in winter,,, any tips would be great :D

Little skippy ones...

Seriously, plane socks, dustsheets over cast iron machine beds (rust is always worse on horizontal surfaces in part because moisture "falls" onto flat surfaces), valuable tools in wooden chests, cupboards and drawers, appropriate oiling, tactical use of some of the anti-rust products from Workshop Heaven, power tools kept in systainers or original cases, and tool rolls. Taken together these precautions have always worked for me and I've not been overly troubled with rust problems...even though I often use many of my tools around boats, and a salt water environment is ten times worse than an unheated garage!

Keep adhesives indoors. Water-based glue, such as PVA, separates at temperatures below about 5 degrees and is then useless and has to be thrown away.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

I coat my planes, chisels etc in Camellia Oil, saws etc in paste wax, and cast iron with Liberon Lubricating wax.
My precious stuff is kept in a metal drawer cabinet which has a low wattage tubular heater situated underneath.

Inspect regularly and replenish as necessary.

One thing I have noticed is that sawdust and resin/sap can attract rust so keep metalwork clean. I got a shock a few years back when I found rust on my planer blades which had been left for a few days after planning some sycamore!

Don't bring anything wet into your shop - my cars stay outside.

Rod

Harbo":1tytfolx said:
I coat my planes, chisels etc in Camellia Oil, saws etc in paste wax, and cast iron with Liberon Lubricating wax.
My precious stuff is kept in a metal drawer cabinet which has a low wattage tubular heater situated underneath.

Inspect regularly and replenish as necessary.

One thing I have noticed is that sawdust and resin/sap can attract rust so keep metalwork clean. I got a shock a few years back when I found rust on my planer blades which had been left for a few days after planning some sycamore!

Don't bring anything wet into your shop - my cars stay outside.

Rod

Not sure what my planer bed is made of .

Does the camelia oil just wipe off when you want to use your tools then reaply ?

I simply keep my workshop heated. Not HOT, just enough. A 1kw heater on a stat, and a couple of small fans to keep the air circulated. I can notch it up a bit when I'm in there, but don't usually bother. Yes, it does cost, but it doesn't break the bank. It's always ready to use, and nothing goes rusty.

Roy

I have a unheated ( when not in it ) workspace and last year kept having to go inside the house for glue. I have just built a 300mm cube box lined with silver bubble wrap stuff and put one of these in it http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400197911289? ... 968wt_1398. It's only 2w so I have left it on all the time and it cuts out at 50 c which is highly unlikely. It seems to lift the ambient temperature by about 3 degrees. There are bigger ones as well. Geoff

Back