What spindle cutters do I need for panel door

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’ve been asked to make some doors the same as this . I recently got a spindle moulder . But haven’t made panel doors before .can any one help with what cutters I would need and would the panel be made from Oak veneer . Thanks

Attachments

• ECD11D88-4D79-482B-8C88-E20DC83ECD98.jpeg
    ECD11D88-4D79-482B-8C88-E20DC83ECD98.jpeg
    134.5 KB · Views: 38
  • B10169E2-9B63-4D50-AC8D-94BEAB5E11D6.jpeg
    B10169E2-9B63-4D50-AC8D-94BEAB5E11D6.jpeg
    111.8 KB · Views: 38
You'd need a cutter to match the 1/4 round moulding and a wobble saw for the slot for the panels.

I’m self taught on my moulder so there might be better ways to do it, but I think I would start off with a piece of wood more than twice as wide as each of those quadrants and put a quadrant up each side and then slice it up the middle on the saw, it would just be too whippy otherwise. Fairly sure that’s a Euro cutter shape.
The panels aren’t so much panels as just pieces of wood if you know what I mean, I certainly wouldn’t mess about veneering them.
Personally I would use a Groover on your Moulder rather than a wobble saw

The rails and stiles look like they're joined with regular M&Ts. No scribing and such.
The panel held in place with beads, probably on both sides. Maybe with groove, maybe without.
The panels could be solid stock or veneer on some kind of substrate.
For a door of this kind, there's not much work on a spindle moulder.
The 1/4 round moulding I prefer doing on a router table.
Maybe just the groove, if there is one at all.

I believe the door has two panels that are plane and not raised field. The door has a muntin. Again I’m assuming these are kitchen cupboard doors or similar. The quick way to make them would be with a cutter like this. It will cut the moulding and groove in one. It will scribe and cut the stub tenons. It’s the only cutter you need. They do other sizes fir different profiles / door thicknesses.

https://www.whitehill-tools.com/profile-cutters/kitchen-door-profiles/003H00126/
You can also get a cutter set made to what ever you want. The last I got made came from this company. Excellent service and cheaper than a set of cutters & limiters from whitehill. I had them 72 hrs from ordering.

https://www.profiledesigntooling.com/

Last edited:
Back