What solvent

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scoffy

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a belt/disc sander that has stick on disc sander sheets, I have a lot of difficulty changing these discs. I have tried meths to melt the adhesive but that does not work- any suggestions would be much appreciated.

I used to stick abrasive to a metal faceplate with non water resistant PVA so I just soaked the worn paper off leaving no residue and allowing me to use any abrasive. Truly soluble PVAs are difficult to find now, but hide glue or something else soluble would do the job.

WD40, spray it on, leave it to soak. I assume paraffin would work too.
It turns the glue into a jelly like gunk you can scrape off, then clean the rest with acetone.

I have never tried WD40 and doubt that I will since I converted to velcro.I have used cellulose thinners since it was easier to find than acetone and it was ok.The thing that would definitely work is toluene and that really is hard to find and needs to be treated with the greatest of care as it really is nasty stuff.There used to be a solvent sold by 3M for exactly this job and it was almost totally toluene and I had a lecture from the HSE man about using ventilation,wearing lots of protection and keeping only a small quantity in the workshop-in a steel cabinet.It did work though.

You can get cans of label remover. Works well on most glues. It smells like its mostly lemon juice, so if you have one not destined for a G&T, might pay to just rub a cut lemon over it.

Label remover is Naphtha spirit - in the bookselling trade we use Ronsonol lighter fluid, which is the same stuff but cheaper than the pukka product.
The lemon smell comes from the Limonene which is added to disguise the nature of the solvent and justify a much higher price.

Martin.

I use the hot air gun to remove mine. If you have one just hold it a few inches from the disc, moving it around slowly over the top section of the disc then peel the disc off slowly moving the gun down as you do. The disc should peel off leaving no glue residue at all.

phil.p":x02gvchc said:
is Ronsonol still naptha? The last lighter fluids I looked at were no longer naptha, they were petroleum.

Naphtha spirit is just an ill-defined petroleum spirit distillation fraction phil.p, so it's quite normal for it to be just described as "Petroleum".

It does continue to be the same stuff though.

Another product which people might find of use as a solvent is "Bob Ross Odorless Thinner" sold in artists' supply houses - and in The Range in the UK.

This is a heavier naphtha distillate similar in action to Ronsonol but is far less volatile and "hangs around wet" much longer - useful in situations where the rapid evaporation of Ronsonol is a disadvantage.

Martin.

After decades of Zippo use I wondered the difference - some fuels that used to be labelled naptha are now labelled petroleum. They seem to smell a little different as well ............. not that I got heavily into sniffing lighter fuel. :D

MJP":2sk2tea6 said:
This is a heavier naphtha distillate similar in action to Ronsonol but is far less volatile and "hangs around wet" much longer - useful in situations where the rapid evaporation of Ronsonol is a disadvantage.
Expensive way to buy OMS! It's much cheaper to buy it non-branded, in a 5 litre jug.

If it's something sticky, burnishing a piece of wide sellotape to the mess then pulling it off can sometimes remove the bulk of it. Solvent can then be used to remove the rest.

I use Contact Adhesive Thinners to remove the glue residue on my 300mm sander.
EvoStik sell tins of it. I think it may be Tuolene as it certainly smells like it.

worn thumbs":1exrqhar said:
...... easier to find than acetone .....

I relied on “her” nail varnish remover for a long time when I needed acetone, but then bought a 5l tin of Acetone BP (about £30 on eBay) and find it invaluable for all sorts of things - most importantly, it is essential for a deep clean of spraying kit when using water based paint.

So my usual arsenal of solvents is white spirit/meths/acetone/cellulose thinners, usually tried in that order. Having said that, contact adhesive remover sounds like it would do the job as suggested above.

I changed my old Record Power disc sander to Velcro a long time ago - I think I scraped most of the adhesive off with a Stanley knife blade or old chisel.

Cheers

scholar":2ocge7u5 said:
I relied on “her” nail varnish remover for a long time when I needed acetone, but then bought a 5l tin of Acetone BP (about £30 on eBay) and find it invaluable for all sorts of things - most importantly, it is essential for a deep clean of spraying kit when using water based paint.
I use acetone for flushing out nozzles as well and it's my go-to surface degreaser now.

I buy it in our equivalent of Poundland in the nail section, my previous sums on this indicated it works out at £6.66 per litre.

This is a useful source if someone needs to get some quickly especially at the weekend, or just needs a small amount, but a while back when I mentioned this GrahamF posted a link to a supplier that's worth reposting since it's substantially cheaper http://www.speedyplasticsandresins.co.u ... Apd88P8HAQ (currently £17.94 inc. tax for 5 litres)

When changing the abrasive on my 12 inch sander I have used most of the solvents suggested. I expected meths to work and it didn’t! I then tried Isco propanol alc. that dint work either. The most significant success I have had has been in using white spirit, which worked better than either of the first two. I’m seriously thinking of changing to Velcro backed disks but I will have at least to remove one sticky one first. I’m looking forward to trying a heat gun, as this is some5honk I have not tried. Good luck!

What is the flatness like using velcro? I use mine to flatten items so any kind of sponginess would be undesirable.

Back