What size vacuum for a cyclone dust collector

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichD1

Established Member
Reaction score
My very old 50L Axminster bin vac has started to trip the mains RCB so I thought it would be a good idea to investigate the use of a cyclone dust collector. But what size vac will I need?

I have a large chip extractor for the planer/thicknesser and the table saw. My bandsaw and router table also have 100mm outlets but I'm wondering if they would be better served if connected to a cyclone? My other uses would be mitre saw and power tools.

I do have a Henry but the pipe size is only 38mm OD. Most of the cyclones appear to be fitted with circa 50mm inlets and outlets and I think I've read somewhere that if the vac pipe wasnt the same as the cyclone then it could collapse the bin.

Richard

If you are using a HPLV vac, then a standard cheap as chips 50mm cyclone and just about any vac, be it a henry or a festool.

If you are using a HVLP extractor then you want something like the axminster 100mm steel job., or pay the extra for a properly engineered Oneida version. Using one of the 50mm small ones will just kill your airflow.

bins collapsing is nothing to do with pipe size and all to do with how strong the suck is and how strong the bin is.

A cyclone is just a way to have an intermediate collection point & to save on dust bags or filter cleaning.
As long as there is a free flow of air through the system any vacuum cleaner will do.
The small pipe sizes are not good for tools like the planer thicknesser or lathe wich produce shavings.
I have a lathe, so was able to turn adaptors to fit the cyclone ports.

Back