What size hole..?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikNak

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys

Quick question.... i'm in the process of making a salt n pepper shaker set... but not using a kit (hammer)

Have just made the first one and am just wondering what size i should drill the holes in the top... any ideas..? :?

As we dont have one i can check with (we use a cheapo plastic crushy type...) i'm guessing around 1 - 1.5mm..? anyone got a set they could quickly go and check using a drill bit..?

Just as soon as they're done i'll post some piccies.... :)

Cheers in advance.....

Nick

Second guessing the dimensions of the finished piece, I think you will need to make sure the smallest aperture only applies to a minimal thickness to prevent clogging, maybe opening up the holes a bit on the inside.

A while back I made a couple of very different salt shakers. This is the second one. no hole in the top, just on in the bottom. It's an ancient Roman design and not only works well, but a good talking point too..

Saltpot7.jpg

Saltpot5.jpg

Saltpot3.jpg

The cone is fitted into the top. The salt is poured into it by turning it upside down and just carefully pouring it in. The top/inside of the cone has a small funnel shape down to the hole so that when you shake it the salt is thrown up into it and out through the hole. nothing comes out whichever way up it is until you have it the correct way up and shake it.

No reason at all why it shouldn't be used for pepper too.

Back