What scroll saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippygeoff

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I would like to buy a scroll saw but want something that is a bit decent. I have seen loads that are basically the same saw but in different guises, obviously from the far east and a load of rubbish I expect. I have looked at the jet scroll saw, looks very cheap at £98 but not sure if its a good one. I have three other jet pieces of kit and each one is brilliant and I am well pleased with them, however, has anyone got the jet one and if so I would appreciate your appraisal of it. I don't mind going up to £200 for a saw. I have looked at the Proxxon DSH, it has no variable speed but two fixed speeds, I think they are 980 and 1200 or something like that. Any advice would be greatly welcome.

Geoff.

It's me again. I have just been looking at the Proxxon DSH scroll saw and noticed something odd about it. There is no hold down device, how are you supposed to keep thicker pieces from bouncing up and down, maybe there is a new piece of technology involved so you don't need one.

Geoff,
I wouldn't worry about the hold down arm. I don't know of anyone who uses it anyway. It just gets in the way and stops you seeing what you are doing, especially on fine work.
Noel

I purchased a brand new Hegner 2S scroll saw from eBay for just over £100 a couple on months ago. The saw is fixed speed, and I have seen variable speed second hand saws going for circa £200. There is one on eBay now which was at circa £100 with a little time to go on it. The saw is amazing, with virtually no vibration of 'walk'. They weigh a ton, but have a brilliant smooth action. I looked at all of the modern saws, and found that you simply could not beat a Hegner.

Deema.

Hello to all out there.

I am new to this forum and I look forward to picking up plenty of useful tips. I would also like to contribute my initial findings if I may.

I find it amazing that here in the UK we have such a lack of choice when it comes round to 'decent' machines. I see that Hegner has been mentioned, but I'm sorry, these are well out of my price range for the size of saw that I'm looking at, (best part of £1700). I notice that Dewalt do a half decent scrollsaw, this I've seen used on many video's. This machine, (a DW788 I believe), would do the job a treat, but it is impossible it seems to be able to buy one of these in the UK - does anyone out there know any different please?

Also, (whist I'm here), I find it difficult to locate a stock of different types of timber that is suitable for my scroll saw work. I'm in Berkshire - we have all of the usual shops, these not really catering for my needs, and am finding it very difficult to get a supplier that doesn't want to sell me half a lorry load of each. Again, if anyone can throw me in the right direction it would ve very much appreciated.

Thanks for all who may take the time to read this.

TTimmo :eek:)

TTimmo":13z8rk9i said:
Hello to all out there.

I am new to this forum and I look forward to picking up plenty of useful tips. I would also like to contribute my initial findings if I may.

I find it amazing that here in the UK we have such a lack of choice when it comes round to 'decent' machines. I see that Hegner has been mentioned, but I'm sorry, these are well out of my price range for the size of saw that I'm looking at, (best part of £1700). I notice that Dewalt do a half decent scrollsaw, this I've seen used on many video's. This machine, (a DW788 I believe), would do the job a treat, but it is impossible it seems to be able to buy one of these in the UK - does anyone out there know any different please?

Also, (whist I'm here), I find it difficult to locate a stock of different types of timber that is suitable for my scroll saw work. I'm in Berkshire - we have all of the usual shops, these not really catering for my needs, and am finding it very difficult to get a supplier that doesn't want to sell me half a lorry load of each. Again, if anyone can throw me in the right direction it would ve very much appreciated.

Thanks for all who may take the time to read this.

Hi TTimmo

Have you seen this saw?

http://www.axminster.co.uk/excalibur-ex ... rod816143/

they do a smaller one as well :wink:

Many thanks Blister.

I've not looked as yet at this machine, (but will do via your link). As it happens, I have been using an Axminster saw for some time now, (the one with very similar styling to that of the Hegner), but the problem I have is the depth of the throat, hence me looking for a larger machine. I'm straight off to look at the spec of this though, and once again thanks for your reply.

TTimmo":34f1nzdz said:
Many thanks Blister.

I've not looked as yet at this machine, (but will do via your link). As it happens, I have been using an Axminster saw for some time now, (the one with very similar styling to that of the Hegner), but the problem I have is the depth of the throat, hence me looking for a larger machine. I'm straight off to look at the spec of this though, and once again thanks for your reply.

I believe the Ex30 has the largest throat of any machine around at the moment, with the possible exception of industrial machines.

Latest posts

Back