What Pillar Drill?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris72

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, What's the forums opinion on pillar drills?.I know Meddings are the Rolls Royce make, but can any body recommend alternatives in the Quality department?
Thanks
Chris

Other British makes are Ajax and Fobco Star, if you can find them. The Records are pretty robust too. Me, I have a "ark-period" Meddings LT - still works like a good 'un

Scrit

I probably will go for the meddings in the end, its finding the good as new one in 240 volt thats the problem!.Theyre a £1000 new- ouch!!!!!!!!

The plus point is that Meddings were successful at selling into training establishments in the 60s and 70s so there are secondhand ones around a lot cheaper than that. Try G & M Tools

Scrit

I've got a Record and whilst it's robust, the drilling action is 'eccentric' (hope I've used the right word this time :oops: :) ). I wouldn't recommend one.

Gill

Gill":18p1qo8v said:
I've got a Record and whilst it's robust, the drilling action is 'eccentric' ...
That really surprises me :shock: Have you given Record a tug to see if they will sort it out? I've seen quite a few Records around at auctions and in trade shops - perhaps they are the only ones people can get these days.

I know that Ajax are still in Stockport and that they do deal in the odd s/h machhine, too. I thought that Fobco were still going (Coventry?), but the only reference I have is the D.B Keighley in Leeds/Bradford who used to supply the Fobco Star. Don't know if either the Ajax or Fobco are still made in the UK (they could well be badged imports). If you are going to auctions another drill to look for is the Elliott Progress which is a beautifully built piece of machinery, but they haven't been made for more than 20 years. They are far more durable than the later Startrites (in fact than any Startrite drill). Finally the two all time best woodworking drills (or vertical borers to use the correct terminology), albeit only ever in 3-phase and not convertable by replacimng the motor are the Wadkin LM or BLM (the "B" stands for Bursgreen, a subsidiary) and the Sagar LH, both of which have a foot pedal as well as a lever to operate the quill. The newest of the LMs will now be 25 to 30 years old whilst the last LH was made nearly 50 years ago (Sagar shut down around 1957).

Scrit

Latest posts

Back