What Now for the UK Woodworking Shows..

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProShop

Established Member
Reaction score
I've never been to the Axminster show so I can't comment. I nearly went this year but the time & cost for me made it unrealistic. It's a hell of a long way from here.
But I have been to Stoneleigh for the past 2 years and the Harrogate show for the same 2 years.

When I first went to Stoneleigh I liked it for the demo's and exhibits which were to an incredibly high standard, but I found the tools etc disappointing like others have mentioned and there were also a few empty stands and spaces.
When I went this year there were MORE empty stands and floor space which was very noticable. At Harrogate it was the same story but not quite as bad as Stoneliegh there were more resellers this year.
Certainly Stoneleigh IMHO is in decline and to a lesser extent is Harrogate.

I like Harrogate for the excellent demos and exhibits from the various woodworking clubs and colleges. I went to the Ally Pally also this year and was suprised with it being in London how small it was and it lacked big manufacturers etc.

Which brings me to the conclusion that woodworking is in decline hence the low attendance figure mentioned. But this doesn't fit with related woodworking press announcements that DIY and woodworking in general is on an all time high in relation to purchases and enquires at Colleges etc.

My own personal view here is that the high fees being asked by the various exhibition venues and by the event organizers is hurting the various traders who wish to book stall space. And the logistical costs of getting their displays setup (which must be considerable for some).

This was brought home to me at Harrogate when I learned from very reliable sources what it cost 4 different companies in floor space, it was certainly an eye opener/popper/shock (take your pick) :) :).

I noticed some members posting about the lack of show offers etc and this may well be the reason why there aren't many show deals anymore.

But on a brighter note there's the big one next year WOODMEX 2006
And Atlanta, can we get a block booking on admission & flights ? :D :D Better book a cargo flight for the return trip though :D

Kempton Park this year was my first woodworking show. I wasn't impressed with it much and wouldn't go again. I'm going to go to Ally Pally this year as its easy for me to get to. I would love to go to Yandles too.

FelderMan":74q1jfc7 said:
My own personal view here is that the high fees being asked by the various exhibition venues and by the event organizers is hurting the various traders who wish to book stall space. And the logistical costs of getting their displays setup (which must be considerable for some).

You have hit the nail on the head there FM. I think it's simply not worth people exhibiting any more. When you look at how much they need to sell just to break even it would amaze you. :(

For me that leaves Yandles. Not that big but pretty well represented (Record, Scheppach, EB etc etc for normites) and Veritas for some hand tools. And you can get a deal at Yandles if you're lucky. Plus they have some exotic timbers (but be warned their wood is a fortune!) Oh and it's not too far from me.
Cheers
Gidon

i got told that the rent for a stall at harrogate was £3000 for 3 days who wants to pay that much plus travel digs and wages ,its a case of ripe off britain again :?

frank

frank":vhdw9vgi said:
i got told that the rent for a stall at harrogate was £3000 for 3 days who wants to pay that much plus travel digs and wages ,its a case of ripe off britain again :?

frank

And you can multiply that x 4 for Ally Pally :shock:

Back