What Morticer?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris72

Established Member
Reaction score
Howdy!
Can anybody give me any advice as to what mortice machine I should be looking at buying?.I have been thinking of buying a second hand sedgwick machine,but was wondering if anybody could recomend anything a bit more lightweight?.
Chris.

You can't really go wrong with a second-hand Sedgwick - there's just about nothing to break (typical Sedgwick - simple, reliable, unbreakable), but another one to consider if you ever want to mortise completed doors is the Multico - PM20, PM22 and MCD models will accommodate a full door (in the case of the PM20 it needs an extra base to do this). And not overly expensive - there have been a couple of MCDs on eBay recently which went for under £700 (and this is a top of the line £2000 new machine). I've seen Sedgewicks as low as £300 secondhand.

Scrit

Chris,

I'm with Scrit on the Sedgwick & Multico.

There's Sedgwick & Multico I know of nothing that comes close.
I have used these machines in the past so I can vouch for them without hestitation.

I've been looking for a morticer for some time and all the lightweights are well....just lightweights. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with some of them, but you mentioned Sedgwick so I assume you must be wanting to mortice larger timbers etc or after a well engineered morticer that will last & last & last.....

I found one recently it's been stood unloved in a damp workshop corner for the past 4 years rusting away (Aahhhhhhhhhh) :( :( .:cry: :cry:. It was seized up everywhere, but I have stripped it down, removed the rust on the slides etc (WONDER WHEELS is fantastic for removing RUST) without damaging the tool steel & cast iron surfaces. And I've just finished rebuilding it and I have to say the quality of the maching etc is superb it works as good as a new one. IMHO you won't regret buying one. And if you can get one as Scrit mentions for £300 ish (a steal for that money IMHO) it'll be money well spent

Hi
Budget probably upto about £500.I would mainly be using the machine to make chairs for the table Im currently making and maybe the odd window frame or two.I would rather go for a quality option as at the end of the day "quality will out" as they say

Chris

In that case look for a Sedgwick or similar. Early Multicos (the ones with square Hoover motors) are all cast iron and a "benchtop" machine still weighs in at 100kg plus - avoid the later lightweight Multicos (PM16 and below) as they aren't a patch on the Sedgwick. You may be lucky enough to find a really cheap single-phase Metalclad or Todd, but they are rather rare. Main thing to look for is that the yoke which holds the square chisel isn't cracked and that the chuck is still there. Avoid 3-phase unless you have it in the shop - morticers are awkward to remotor in the main.

Scrit

Back