What make are these chisels?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJP

Established Member
Reaction score
Recently unearthed a set of chisels, long neglected.

I know I've had these since 1975 at the latest, might be as old as mid sixties.

Completely unmarked and I don't recall them ever having been marked in any way.

They originally had edge protectors, plain red plastic ones, simple rectangular in shape not decorative like the Footprint ones.

Given a couple of the edges a quick rub and they seem to be decent enough, though I'm no judge.

Anyone got any idea what make these are or were, and if they were ever rated as decent quality?

Thanks,

Martin.

Attachments

• 2003-02-09 22.05.07 (Small).jpg
    2003-02-09 22.05.07 (Small).jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 634
Thanks both I agree, they do look like Footprint but did Footprint produce unmarked chisels?

My Stanleys of similar age are only marked with an etch on the blade, easily lost when cleaning or sharpening. Yours could have had something similar.

Thanks Andy. Looks like that's it then - Footprint 85s they are. I'm happy with that.
Martin.

MJP":3s0xgx98 said:
Thanks Andy. Looks like that's it then - Footprint 85s they are. I'm happy with that.
Martin.
I did a comparative test a few years ago and seem to recollect that Footprint chisels were pretty good. If these are quite old, my guess is that they're Sheffield made rather than chisels of dubious quality from the Far East - Rob

Thanks Rob.
Yes, they're mid 70s at the most recent, and thinking back I can sort of recall buying them while I was in university in the mid 60s so they qualify as "quite old" I think.
I'm just a noob but they do seem to take an edge nicely ....next job is to get them polished up and make them presentable!
Martin.

MJP":xrgeuguj said:
Thanks Rob.
Yes, they're mid 70s at the most recent, and thinking back I can sort of recall buying them while I was in university in the mid 60s so they qualify as "quite old" I think.
I'm just a noob but they do seem to take an edge nicely ....next job is to get them polished up and make them presentable!
Martin.
No problem Martin. If you want to see how good they are, get an edge on one and then belt it hard into oak across the grain twenty times; then examine the edge with a jewellers X10 loupe. If the steel is half way decent, you'll see no degradation (or very little) in the edge whilst some cheapy Chiwanese chisel edges will buckle almost instantly. It's a pretty brutal test but it sorts out the 'men from the boys' :D - Rob

Oh by golly Rob - talk about brutal!
I'll work up to that gradually.....
Thanks again
Martin.

This page from a 1970 catalogue suggests that the 85 and 86 series did have the Footprint name and trademark embossed on the handles - is there any trace of it?

On the other hand, the one at the bottom left may have just had a sticker on the handle, easily lost.

BookReaderImages.php

Full catalogue at

https://archive.org/details/FootprintTools1970

I've got one kicking around somewhere with the white embossed footprint name, logo and "Made in Sheffield" or similar on the handle. I haven't seen it for a while but it could be anywhere #-o It does hold a very good edge even when you're pounding on it.

Quoth Andy thus:

"This page from a 1970 catalogue suggests that the 85 and 86 series did have the Footprint name and trademark embossed on the handles - is there any trace of it?

On the other hand, the one at the bottom left may have just had a sticker on the handle, easily lost."

There is absolutely no trace of any markings of any kind on the handles or blades Andy - and I don't think that these were actually used so much that they would have all been worn off.

On the other hand, I have the faintest of notions (remember this all happened around fifty years ago) that they came in plastic packets like the one on bottom left of the catalogue page, so they could indeed just have had a sticker.

The date is pretty well bang on, and the edge protectors look like simple rectangular ones not the later decorative ones.

I think we've confirmed well enough that these are indeed Footprint.

Enough to satisfy even M. Poirot, I think.

Martin.

They are 100% footprints.

My dad has a set he bought about 30 years ago, they are good chisels. I began with a set of Marples (373) and preferred the Footprints..he wouldn't swap them for mine :cry:

I own them now :mrgreen:

I doubt this will apply to you but I'll say it. After 25 years of site work, I've seen a lot of the FP chisels with trashed/split handles due to being battered with a claw hammer.
I still have one of my Marples , the blade is about 30mm long, it is useless as a chisel and has been abused badly but the handle is still intact (apart from losing the red colour from the bottom half).

Hi Scooby -

"I doubt this will apply to you but I'll say it. After 25 years of site work, I've seen a lot of the FP chisels with trashed/split handles due to being battered with a claw hammer."

Oh no indeedy not! I try not to have to hit my chisels and when I do I use a nice gentle mallet which is considerably older than I am. Kisses the chisel, just asks it nicely to cut that wood!

Martin.

MJP":38vijv6n said:
Quoth Andy thus:

"
There is absolutely no trace of any markings of any kind on the handles or blades Andy - and I don't think that these were actually used so much that they would have all been worn off.

On the other hand, I have the faintest of notions (remember this all happened around fifty years ago) that they came in plastic packets like the one on bottom left of the catalogue page, so they could indeed just have had a sticker.

Forgot to mention, I recall my dads' (mine) chisels came in the packaging you describe (he bought them separately) . The blade and handle had branding, Sheffield, size, etc but it wears off both really quick.
They also made chisels with wooden handles (usually yellow and black). I think these were essentially the same as the red ones.
At some point during the early 2000s, they made blue handles ones. I remember buying one to try as they were cheaper than the red handles. Handle and steel quality was vastly inferior

MJP":3mo8whyu said:
Hi Scooby -

"I doubt this will apply to you but I'll say it. After 25 years of site work, I've seen a lot of the FP chisels with trashed/split handles due to being battered with a claw hammer."

Oh no indeedy not! I try not to have to hit my chisels and when I do I use a nice gentle mallet which is considerably older than I am. Kisses the chisel, just asks it nicely to cut that wood!

Martin.

Agreed, when I'm woodworking at home I use the Footprints and Ashley Iles. Strictly mallet only.
On site, I've got a set of Irwin Marples (blue/yellow handles with metal cap). They get the hammer treatment. Hate those chisels but they get the job done.

"At some point during the early 2000s, they made blue handled ones. I remember buying one to try as they were cheaper than the red handles. Handle and steel quality was vastly inferior"

Thanks - worth remembering.

Martin.

Back