What kind of woodturner are you?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What kind of woodturner are you?

• A professional, my main source of income is from woodturning.

Votes: 5 10.0%
  • A professional with turning as one aspect of my craft.

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • A semi-professional, supplementing my income with regular sales.

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • An amateur, but aiming to become professional.

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • An amateur, I sell occasionally but not to supplement my income.

Votes: 13 26.0%
  • An amateur, I don't sell any but would if the opportunity arose.

Votes: 16 32.0%
  • An amateur, I am not interested in selling.

Votes: 7 14.0%

• Total voters

myturn

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I'm curious as to what proportion of the members earn their living by woodturning so thought a poll might be interesting.

By 'professional' I mean from the economic point of view and not how experienced you are. I realise there may be amateurs far more experienced and skilled than some professionals but that is not the aim of this poll. (That might be for another one on how long you've been turning and how good you are :mrgreen: )

I hope I've covered most major categories but I expect there will be variations and combinations of some where the boundaries are not distinct. If there is a major category I've omitted let me know and I'll try and add any omissions (if the forum engine allows this).

Feel free to give additional explanation by posting as well .

having got my first lathe on Sunday I answered honestly, rather than the tosh I rolled out to SWMBO when she raised the matter....... :lol:

otoh I did lay the blame (reason for purchase) firmly on members of this particular sub-forum for providing the incentive!

I'm an amateur turner that sells occasionally when the chance arises, in the past I've sold mainly bowls and pens.

Steve

I would class myself as an amateur who has no interest in selling but I am sure that if I produced the quality that I see on this forum I would soon become interested in selling.

I make for me and mine.I have made for others as gifts etc.

I have made items to order for friends and have been pleased to fulfil a need and been proud to be entrusted with such commission, but only accepted projects that interest me. I have received gifts of appreciation and I have passed on the cost of the wood.

I still class myself as strictly amateur.

If I was to sell I think I would gravitate to art over function as I don't think the majority of buyers are prepared to pay the true value of the cost of production of "ordinary" or household functional items.

However, I think those that are seriously trying to make a living deserve the opportunity to earn a decent living. Amateurs selling cheaply annoy me as undermining the earning potential of those who rely on the craft to make a living

There isn't a category for me

My woodturning is nearly all incorporated in the furniture/Clocks that I design and make as a professional cabinet maker - I can therefore say that yes I make money from my woodturning but not purely as a woodturner but as a cabinet maker.

Rog

Amateur, no desire or the skill/drive for that matter to become professional even if there were enough years left in my time line.
A percentage of pieces do find their way to providing enough goodwill and collateral exchanges as presents against the household budget to keep my hobby in consumables and the odd tool update.
I know one outlet that trades new wood stock with me in part exchange for finished items has a cliental willing to pay far more than ever I would consider paying, but even at those prices I could see no way of making a living at turning alone.

I'm a knobber really. Knobs, bun feet etc for furniture. And spindles for table legs. Bits n bobs. The occasional urny thing. Tool handles. Mallets. Indian clubs.
My best thing ever is a big plain elm bowl which was so heavy it broke the spindle. Still got the bowl - in daily use, improves with age.

Hi Folks,

I haven't got a clue what I'm doing at the best of times, just having fun and enjoying turning at the moment.

If I sell a piece then I'm chuffed but I don't think I have the skill and dedication to become a professional, maybe in 10 years if I'm lucky :lol:

Take it easy,

Lee.

As I make furniture for a living I plan to get good enough to use my turnings in furniture as well as turn items directly for selling.

Currently im a shi*t turner working up to professional. :d

I sell on a market every Saturday and Sunday, the main sales are toys, but I also make bowls and unusual looking stuff that i was making into something then decided to leave it as it was, 1/2 finished, because I liked it that way.

Only make enough to supliment, but love it.

Sorry, but due to my location and tourist trade only, I sell too cheap, but would sell nothing, if I asked the correct price. Good quality is a luxury that I can not, YET, afford to produce too often, people at tourist markets, just want something cheap to take home from their holiday. Anything of quality, I keep, until the market gets better, in ????????????? years time.

I would be trying to sell if I made more. I have done one commission and would love to do more / do gallery work but I need to get my skill and speed level up :)
Miles

I think Colin raises some very good points. I sympathise with view about pricing but of course, many people I am sure, are just grateful to be able to get anything for their work. This does undermine the professional to a degree. Maybe its a cliche but I do feel that so many of the 'artistic' temperament have not a clue about selling and self promotion.

It may be that this is why there are so few REAL professional artists out there rather than any lack of talent. We see plenty of talent here.

I am now a woodturner though circumstance. I used to make money building and installing kitchens. doors, windows etc. I can now just about lift the wineglass so all that is out. Probably more surgery to come so long term we don't know yet.

My wife is now trying to build the rose and other plant nursery and I hope I will be able to supplement the income. Already selling some through various shops and restaurants and have just got into a good art gallery which does well in the tourist season. The prices there are much higher than at the other places as I am now pricing according to the materials and time rather than what I think the punter will pay. Time will tell.

Great to read all the responses and motivations that make us turn.

I'm a self-taught amateur with only a few years experience and would probably have made more progress if I'd had lessons but I keep putting them off thinking (often wrongly) that I'm doing fine. Like many things it looks easy when you see a practised turner working but when you actually do it yourself you realise it ain't so easy. (hammer)

I turn out some decent stuff and lots of cr@p and the house is gradually filling up with wooden things everywhere. The dining room table is where each latest effort goes when brought in from the garage and we have taken to eating dinner off our laps on the sofa! Whenever anyone visits or we go somewhere I take something I've turned as a gift, I'm amazed we still have any friends left. :eek:

My wife says I should sell some but I'm rubbish at selling or promoting anything although it would be nice to at least recover the cost of materials. Again that raises the issue of undermining the work done by people turning for a living although I'm not sure if the target markets would be the same.

The nearest I've come to selling is making a pen for someone at work and charging him the cost of the kit (he asked me to make it and insisted on paying and was amazed how cheap it was at £10).

So I guess the closest category to me would be a somewhat qualified:
"An amateur, I don't sell any but would if the opportunity arose."

I too am an amateur and would not want it any other way. I think to progress to being a professional would take all the fun out of it (plumbers have drippy taps, mechanics have cars that break down etc etc....), but i'm not in any way knocking those who do do it for a living, i take my hat off to speed at which they can do what takes me 3 or 4 shaves.....

However having said that, i have managed to make my hobby 'pay' if that makes sense. My love is little boxes which all the ladies at work love and adore. These i can sell as many as i can make.

I then got into making pens about a year ago and so far have had 4 commissions for full pen sets. The most recent (end Feb) was a gents classic pen set, fountain, rollerball & a slimline pencil.

Nick

I turn as a hobby / interest as and when the mood takes me

some times I turn a lot other times maybe not for 2 weeks

I do commissions but only on my terms and will not be rushed for something quick , I don't do quick

Most Projects I think through for a week sorting out design getting it down on paper , methods of holding , finishing etc before I start work

It HAS to be enjoyable or its not fun for me

This is my way of doing it :wink:

Maybe strange maybe not :lol:

Dammit, I added a new category to the poll and it's cleared all the votes!!
Didn't realise it would do that!

Sorry folks, would you please revote :oops: :oops:

You can change your vote after making it if you later realise you are not really what you thought you were :?

p.s. "A professional with turning as one aspect of my craft." was what I added.

I too am an amature and sell when I can. So far what I have made has paid for all of the tooling I have, several bottles of wine, quite a few rodio control gliders and associated kit and a fair amount of beer.

I mainly turn for my own fun and enjoyment, but I love it when someone askes me if I can make a confusticated woggle or the like because I love the challenge of working out how to do it. I have never been one to sit and draw a plan. I just look at the wood and possibly sketch it out on there then ignore it. I tend to let the wood tell me what to do. Sounds silly, but it works for me.

The only formal training I have had was a weekend course with Ian Wilkie at his lovely home in the Hereford countryside. Both being ex-R.A.F. we got on very well and he even gave me a few goodies that he had tried for companies, including a very nice (too nice to use) turning smock. I really enjoyed him teaching me how to make boxes and many other things.

Funnly enough turning was something I was never going to get into, but I'm glad I did!

Some of you nreed to recognise that you are in business as woodturners or you are not and the amateur professional thing makes no odds to the taxman. So if you are only selling £10 a week you need to register yourselves with the Inland Revenue as proper businesses rather than being hobbyists who sell a bit on the side.

Back