What kind of rust is this?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keyvan

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I just spotted some sort of rust on my No7 jointer plane. It looks a bit weird and I hope it's nothing serious. It looks like snow flakes
I need your advise, should i be worried?
Do you recommend getting the flexible silicone abrasive blocks (Klingspor SandFlex) to remove the rust or some other method?[/size]

Here are the pictures:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/FAWgm6ZBAsJXVQqx9

https://photos.app.goo.gl/uLH15C5YN2iqhHy56

Dont sand it. It will likely wipe off with WD40 on a rag. If that does not do it then a green scouring pad and WD40. Clean off and then whatever you like as a rust inhibitor. Paste wax, 3 in 1 oil or other coating. There is a list as long as your arm.
Regards
John

Its not rust. Rust is iron oxide and its brown and flaky. That looks more like biological to me, some kind of mould or fungus. Do you have a high powered magnifying glass?
Strong disinfectant would be my weapon of choice.

Could even be confused woodworms :shock: =D> =D>

I thought the same as Bob when I saw it. Presumably we are looking at a spread of little pits where you can see rust colour inside them which doesn't show up in the photos.

I wonder if you have been storing the plane on top of some damp sawdust, which has reacted with the iron locally.

If so, the answer is to vacuum the shelf and give the plane a wipe over with wax, oil or similar when you put it away.

If you have a damp workshop, more effort will be needed.

Andy, My eyes and my screen show those as being attached to the surface, rather than pitted into, like tiny nematode worms.

Whichever, it aint rust (hammer) 8) 8)

Do nothing to it at this point other than making sure that you have wax or oil protecting the sole of your plane when you're not using it. It looks less like rust and more like past rust (that's been partially lapped off) to me.

sunnybob":3864u00f said:
Its not rust. Rust is iron oxide and its brown and flaky. That looks more like biological to me, some kind of mould or fungus. Do you have a high powered magnifying glass?
Strong disinfectant would be my weapon of choice.

Could even be confused woodworms :shock: =D> =D>
I have a 10X loupe and I just looked at it again, (i'm going to upload a picture of it in a bit) and it's definitely rust. I think it's called the Pitting Corrosion and yes it really does look like worms, maybe rustworm :lol:

AndyT":22yuhgp5 said:
I thought the same as Bob when I saw it. Presumably we are looking at a spread of little pits where you can see rust colour inside them which doesn't show up in the photos.

I wonder if you have been storing the plane on top of some damp sawdust, which has reacted with the iron locally.

If so, the answer is to vacuum the shelf and give the plane a wipe over with wax, oil or similar when you put it away.

If you have a damp workshop, more effort will be needed.
Hey Andy

The plane is stored on a plywood cabinet (it has only shellac and wax finish on it) and I really don't have much dust in my workshop as I mainly use handtools.

I just finished painting the workshop with some damp resistant paint thanks to the global pandemic.

Keyvan":10w7xk70 said:
Here are the photos taken with my loupe.
You can definitely feel them when you run a finger nail on the sole of the plane

[url=https://photos.app.goo.gl/XpRDRK2HxDbs29tT6]

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7h97nvnmo1JiUjHA6
Think Andy T nailed it personally. That and photographic issues not showing up the rust in the first post that are clearly visible in the second post.
If damp is a minor issue on the bed I have seen a bit of carpet used as a bed doused in suitable non flammable oil etc etc etc as an antidote.
Or it could be metalworm.
Its 2020. Who knows?

Another approach is to get some anti-rust paper (VCI paper) and line the plane shelf with that.

That is still not rust, but it is corrosion. What chemicals have you been splashing all over ( sorry,enry). My money is on caustic.

A bit more general info might be of use here.
Maybe I missed it, but on what faces of the plane are affected?
Are there any other planes effected, are they made by same manufacturer?
The other tools that are stored in the same area/shelf/box/cabinet, effected?

Regards,
Dave

P.S. Affected and Effected....way to early, but you get the idea :D

Back