What is?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

llangatwgnedd

Established Member
Reaction score
What is the ideal height/width & length of a workbench (in Imperial cant visualise metric) ?

Got a load of used timber from house re-built and the bench I`m using
at the moment is the old dogs kennel (2x3x3h)

So looking to do something in the new year.

Whats your comments ?
:?:

34 inches high,30 deep,64 inches long thats a good size for a workbench mine is 24 inches deep 48 inches wide.

The bench should be built to suit you, and the work you do. Someone who is 6'6" would not need the same height bench as someone who is 5'4". Likewise it depends on the work you do. An assembly bench is more comfortable if it is lower. A bench built to use hand held power tools on, in my experience, is better to be that bit taller, so that you are not stooping to see the work. Make a mock up on trestles first to see where you are most comfortable before you commit your time and timber.

Another pointer:

Remember if you made it too high - It can be cut down. But if it's too short your not going to be able to make it taller.

sawdustalley":2s337zi6 said:
Another pointer:

Remember if you made it too high - It can be cut down.

Don't cut it down if its only a inch or two too high, make a duck board. 8)

Ok for the youngsters here a duck board is a wooden slatted 'mat' that were alway used in workshops. The dust drops through and you don't walk it about. You just stand the board on edge and sweep the floor nice and quick. The bonus is that if you drop anything its landing on wood not the hard floor.
I can still remember them in my Grandads workshop, along time ago now! :D
You only need 2x1 or 1.5x.75 timber, get some old 4x2 floor joists and rip them down, nice Sunday afternoon job. :)
DaveL

Dr Duncan":1hsmrw6p said:
And they stop your feet getting too cold :D

Well I don't need a duck board to keep my feet warm in the workshop, I wear clogs. :D
English clogs, here is the chap who made them, http://www.kc3.co.uk/chamber/jeremy-atkinson/index.html
The pair I normally wear in the workshop are Welsh Flap Boots, look at the pictures page their about half way down. They are hand made, Jeremy cuts the woods to match your feet.
My pair are English cherry. Very comfortable and very warm under foot. Don't be put off by the prices they last years and years, they have rubber shods that you can replace yourself :)

The Dr is quite right, if you don't have just over an inch of wood strapped to each foot, then a duck board will help to keep your feet warm.

DaveL

Back