What is used to create this deep black decoration?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tetsuaiga

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, i'm trying to find out ways you can achieve this type of decoration in the picture below. I don't plan to use it for violins myself but think it can give nice results.

Does anyone know what different ways you can go about doing this? I saw in one video it was being applied with what looked linke a pencil, anyone know which these are?

peace-quartetadjustedL.png

Thank you

its some sort of pyrography, basically burning the wood with a posh soldering iron, although I wonder if there stuck on letters :duno:

adidat

I've seen a video somewhere of that type of thing being done using a laser and it giving very crisp results, I'll have a think and try to remember where it was.

Steve

Hi

Letters can be cut very crisply with a laser, but I think that could only work on a flat surface, not curved like a violin back.

Chris

I just wonder if these have been done with silk screen printing using epoxy ink. A Laser would burn the wood slightly which does not seem likly on an instrument like a violin.

Cheers Arnold

The instruments in the picture above are the 'Quartet of Peace' instruments by Brian Lisus of Cape Town.

He uses a stencil and a pencil (I'm not sure if it is a graphite pencil or a dark coloured one) to apply the wording after a coat of violin primer has been applied, applying varnish over the top to seal the words under the finish.

Link here

http://www.lisusviolins.com/index.html

Oh yeah I knew who it was doing it, thanks though.

Follow up question if anyones still reading.

Whats the best way to create a stencil like that? His just seems to be using paper with the letters cut out. Do you think you could print something out and cut it with a sharp knife? Im not sure that would give as good results. Maybe he has a special cutting printer thing.

i looked at the vid several times and i would say that the stencil was laser cut then applied to the violin with spray mount
then pencilled in

as a foot note you can laser pyrograph on a curved surface depends on when these were made shows 1993 laser work has come a long way since

If your really serious about doing it contact your local sign makers shop. They'll have a vinyl cutting machine for making lettering and would be able to make you perfect stencils that you can use to colour.

Back