What is this ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichElfin

Reaction score
Having a clear out of the old shed and found this, it's obviously some type of wood wax/polish but I can't read
what type or make.
It's about 3/4 full but of the consistency of petroleum jelly so I'm thinking to add some turps so I can pour it out
into a jar and hopefully use it once I know what it is.
Hoping someone here will have an idea.

Attachments

• Wax1.jpg
    Wax1.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Wax2.jpg
    Wax2.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 0
I have not seen that one before but guessing it must be a floor wax as with that cap it is meant for pouring. I would use white spirit rather than turps but either way it should still be useable.

Chuck it!
Theres no telling how it might react when anything is added to it.
Certainly theres no way of getting any more for a second coat, or colour matching.

Bod

OK thanks for the reply's , so I'll try white spirit instead of turps to thin it ,especially as it a lot cheaper,
and I'll try it on something I'm not to fussed about, maybe my old workbench top, just to see what it does.
I just hate to throw anything out if it's still usable :) .

I gotta go with the bin suggestions. The cost in time and hasstle when things go wrong just isnt worth it 🙃

Quick update so I tried it on my old bench, this is my mech bench not my wood working bench, 20+ years old that I use for working on bike engines.
So I took the top off and turned it over, gave it a quick sand down a 2 coats of the wax after thinning it down.
Definitely glad I didn't try it on something good as the rust wasn't just on the outside so it's wax polish with a hint of red oxide :)
and although it wasn't to bad a finish I will be binning the rest.
The discolouration around the edge is historic water damage.

Attachments

• bench.jpg
    bench.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 0
Back