UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

LBCarpentry

Established Member
Reaction score

Trevanion

Greatest Of All Time
Reaction score
Weird looking thing, I'm sure someone on here knows exactly what that is though. Must be quite important/delicate enough to warrant having a bespoke fitted wooden box for it!

If you google "Stanley London" it brings up a company which makes compasses, telescopes and nautical instruments, so perhaps it's something to do with that?

Cabinetman

Established Member
Reaction score
That’s a very good question, and the correct answer is :-

I haven’t got the foggiest idea. But would love to know so I hope you do know the answer !

AndyT

Established Member
Reaction score
I can't be the only one here who has made a nice little wooden box, then failed to find anything suitable to put in it... this is the answer! ;)

Seriously, I was going to say that Stanley London is not the same as Stanley Tools before I read the GOAT's post, but I've no idea what it is either.

Cabinetman

Established Member
Reaction score
Having googled it I’m not a lot wiser I’m afraid, any ideas how it would be used? According to what I have understood it’s for marking out, mainly right angles. Ian
If I were to guess, it’s mounted on a theodolite and you look through the slit and you direct somebody with a poll until they are in the centre of the image you can see which is at right angles to where you are pointing?

LBCarpentry

Established Member
Reaction score
Look down through the top. Get 2 blokes with poles and line them up with the lines you see.
Look down through the top? There is nothing to see!

Looks like a pole gets stuck in it.

Lemme know if you want more info or pix

TheTiddles

Established Member
Reaction score
I’ve seen someone use something like that to lay out two perpendicular transit lines

doctor Bob

Established Member
Reaction score
So I think the line of view through bottom holes is at 90 degrees to the top holes, so you can lay out a 90 degree angle very simply.
Thats my guess

looks like tiddles beat me to it.

Latest posts