What is this wood?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Starling

Reaction score
I bought a couple of unidentified boards off an auction site. The timber is noticeably waxy to the touch after planing. Shown after planing and sanding the surface, and after wiping the surface with white spirit post sanding.

Thank you in advance.

IMG_20201002_190411174_HDR.jpg
IMG_20201002_185029538.jpg

Second photo definitely looks a lot like teak

The left hand replacement bench slat in the photo below is teak if that’s anything to go by

AEDAB552-00F0-4513-9D00-99C95C825A66.jpeg

Last edited:
Thank you both, reading up on teak it certain sounds like you are correct.

I also read that due to the waxiness of the timber, water based glues aren't much use, or to clean the glueing surfaces with acetone before glueing. Any recommendations? Epoxy?

I'm repairing a very pretty old carpenters chest that I pulled out if a skip a while back. The board I've pictured will be used for the top of the chest.

Epoxy would work, I tend to use Polyurethane glue recently I’ve been using Gator by Everbuild which works well Gator Glue Adhesive - Everbuild

It foams as it cures so I found masking the joint area you don’t want glue on helps as does using cling film to help contain it & stopping it going on clamps etc.
7C5A50AA-B9CC-4A65-8C0F-AEC6773162D3.jpeg

Occasionally I find it easier to wrap a bit of cling film round the clamp rather than the timber being jointed.

Back