What is this wood boring beetle ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I found this in my wood store. I believe it’s a wood boring beetle but I want to know exactly what it is ? The little prick has been putting giant holes in my slabs.

Attachments

• 9EA88442-D700-474F-9987-FE0B1F8BA3A1.jpeg
    9EA88442-D700-474F-9987-FE0B1F8BA3A1.jpeg
    60.5 KB · Views: 33
  • 2D508164-3E06-4E83-8714-82089EF524FA.jpeg
    2D508164-3E06-4E83-8714-82089EF524FA.jpeg
    48.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 31D049B4-D97B-424F-862D-1FE34471BDF8.jpeg
    31D049B4-D97B-424F-862D-1FE34471BDF8.jpeg
    76.9 KB · Views: 25
Looks like it might be a lesser stag beetle.
Are you sure that its that little critter that done the damage?

The longhorn can make a large exit hole, they seem to like a nice blast of the sun on their backs, on their way to the attic from outside the house.
I presume the deathwatch makes large holes also, sounds like the back of your thumbnail rubbing off a zip at night, and like being around light fixtures in the celing.
You can rile them up by doing that, about five times, but you would be hard pressed to find one.

Could be some other powderpost borer, never seen those though.
Can we see the damage?

Thanks
Tom

I found it dead on top of a slab which has very soft ends. The slab now has 8/10mm holes in it. I previously sprayed wood worm killer on the slab because of new holes which I found in the slab.

for holes u need one of these .....euro (French) Capricorn beetle....
Unknown-18.jpeg

the grubs do the damage tho.....when nearly ready to pupate they are the size of a mans thumb...long and fat......
so disgusting our chickens wouldn't eat em.....
they will naw thru 200-400 year old Oak beams like they were toast.....we had trouble cutting the same beams with a chain saw....

spraying will help but the best way to stop the attacks is wood moisture.......all very diff....
at least u dont have termites in the UK.....YET....due to climate change of course.....hahaha........

I found it dead on top of a slab which has very soft ends. The slab now has 8/10mm holes in it. I previously sprayed wood worm killer on the slab because of new holes which I found in the slab.
It's more likely to be longhorn beetle that's boring those holes.

Stag beetle grubs live in buried rotten wood.

I found this in my wood store. I believe it’s a wood boring beetle but I want to know exactly what it is ? The little prick has been putting giant holes in my slabs.
does not look like a wood boring worm beetle luckily cuz its a big one alright. longhorn or common or at worst deathwatch are more likely culprits if you have worm

I found a wood boring bee/wasp exiting through a 7mm hole in a hardwood window frame. It had already pushed out a mass of (presumably) chewed wood dust along the sill.

Back