What is this vice worth?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug71

Established Member
Reaction score
An old chap asked me if I was interested in a couple of things he was clearing out of his shed, one of them was a Record 53 vice. I don't really need another vice as I have a perfectly good one but people seem to like the Record ones and I might use it on a future bench build so am tempted.

He doesn't know what he wants for it and when I look on ebay the prices are all over the place. What is a fair price for it?

vice 1.jpg

vice 2.jpg

vice 3.jpg

He also wondered what this bandsaw was worth so I said I would ask the knowledgeable folk on here for him.

bandsaw.jpg

Thanks in advance, Doug

I paid £80 for a Record 53 a couple of years ago. The seller and I were both happy with the price.

I think he had paid half that at a car boot sale, but then had cleaned it up, and replaced a circlip.

I've no idea of current prices but I'll just point out that the 53 is bigger and rarer than the popular 52½. The current unbranded far eastern equivalent new at Axi is £115.58 with quick release and a sliding dog on the front jaw.

The 53 isn;t as popular as Sellers has got people frothing for the 52 1/2 but its still good money to the right person. It's also an older one looking at the boss and the front jaw design with the RD number on it.

if I wasn't happy with my older Parky woodworking vices, this would be the best version of the Record in my opinion

I bought a 53 from bay in the summer. In near mint condition and the seller delivered it to me as he was local. £50. It is actually better in my opinion that a 52 1/2. Make sure the quick release is working perfectly.

how does the vice feel to use, does it run smoothly end to end?.

what do the internals of the saw look like, does it sound smooth when running?.

these are factors that would be relevant to price

I think about £40-50 is a fair price for both parties but that's completely subjective to ones own opinion.

I've got two of these sat somewhere not in use 😣

IMO as the vice does not have a quick release or the dog facility it's worth is about £40.00
Admittedly it's not that clear but it is quick release.
I'd be wary on making an offer until it's been tested by yourself and proved not to "jump".
Cheers Andy

I have the identical vice that I bought second hand in 1965 for £3-10
It's been worked hard and is still good today.
In 1965 that price was about twelve hours pay for a joiner.
As already mentioned you need to test it to ensure that it doesn't "jump out of gear" when tightened.

Thanks for all the replies chaps, very helpful as always.

I will suggest £40-£50 as long as it doesn't "jump", sure he will be happy with that.

It will sit unused until I have spare time to build another bench which will probably be never, although if we get locked down again it will be handy to have it ready!

Thanks for all the replies chaps, very helpful as always.

I will suggest £40-£50 as long as it doesn't "jump", sure he will be happy with that.

It will sit unused until I have spare time to build another bench which will probably be never, although if we get locked down again it will be handy to have it ready!
If it "jumps" take it to bits and clean all the built up dirt on all the threads and the half block of threads.

Back