What is this thing called?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dandan

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm having a belated spring clean and have decided that this thing could be serving a more useful purpose than being stored under my workbench, so i'd like to advertise it but don't really know what you would call it!
It consists of a pair of long rails mounted to the table saw uprights, and a cast iron sled with an adjustable mitre/clamp assembly on it.
It's a kind of cross cut sled of course but I can't find a similar model so i'm not sure if it has a specific name? I've a vague memory that the previous owner said it might be used for trimming the long side of doors perhaps?
Also I've no idea if it will fit only on specific table saws or if all saws have the hole pattern on their uprights to take this sort of thing? I guess worst case is a couple of holes would need drilling...
Last thing, I have no clue what its worth, it's very solidly constructed, all the runners have multiple bearings and it's completely adjustable so I guess it was never cheap. I'm happy to give someone a bargain but I don't want to completely give it away!
Can anyone help?

Its a sliding table - I have a simmilar on my Sheppach TS4010, very handy and I use mine a lot. Maybe worth keeping?

Even most of the best equipped workshops have sliding tables on the saw.
I would get it set up and and be using it :wink:
How do you square and dimension your sheet materials without it?
Are you missing the long fence?

Andy

Fantastic, thanks everyone!
I'll have a hunt for the long fence, pretty sure I will have it somewhere.

Honestly its just too big for the space, when I had it fitted I never used it but always bumped into it or had to adjust it back and forth to get it out of the way. I don't cut a great deal of sheet materials so I think it's just a bit overkill for my little hobby shop.

I'll get it up for sale ASAP

If or when you come to sell your saw table, you may find it is worth considerably less without it's specific attachments and accessories.
A potential buyer may be put off by it being incomplete.
Considering these things consume no food, but you don't use them, it may be prudent to clearly label them, then put them away somewhere until that day comes.
Just my tuppence worth.
ATB,
Daniel

Would you sell the whole saw if you're not using it? :lol:

Every single cross cut should use the sliding table. No more silly sleds. If you have a mitre saw you may not do cross cuts, but I find the table saw so much more versatile. It is an oversized, super-accurate mitre gauge, you can attach jigs, and it is just outstanding. It does, however, get in the way when you are ripping. Does the table detach easily? I have a plan to hang mine on the wall when not in use, but for now I usually just slide the fence to the left when in the way. It does mean recalibrating afterwards.

Back