What is this 'grind' and tool for?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homerjh

Established Member
Reaction score
Pics of the tool

Hi all, reviving my wood turning again and after much deliberation i cannot find what this tool/grind is for, it is either a bowl or spindal gouge but the angle seems really wrong as it is swept forward almost.

I had another gouge (spindle as quite narrow compared to his) that was pants so using the ebay sharpening jig did an ellison grind (and realised my previous attempt at sharpening went wrong as didnt do the edges far enough) and it has transformed the tool, so tempted to do the same for this one as well.

difficult to get proper pictures of it, but just cant find any images that match the type of grind.

It LOOKS like a bowl gouge with a slightly odd grind.
To be sure it's strong enough to be a bowl gouge, check the bar goes all the way into the handle and it's NOT got a flattened tang.
I've only got one bowl gouge, so have ground it swept back, so it can doesn't catch so easily and can be used to shear cut as well.
HTH

I would have thought it is a bowl gouge sharpened for the bottom of bowls. probably 55-60 degrees. the heel has been removed to avoid bruising. I haven't done much bowl turning but there comes a point where the swept back gouge can't do what you need, so a different grind is used.

As a general rule of thumb, look down the end of the flute, deep flute = bowl gouge & shallow flute = spindle gouge.
Marcros got it right. It's a steeply ground (I would say more like 75-80°) bowl gouge with the heel relieved.
To stop the points digging in, the same for a spindle roughing gouge, the end profile should be vertical or backward sloping by a few degrees.

Looking at the photos that gouge is ground totally the wrong way the wings are sticking out to the front and should be facing back.
You need to regrind it or if not sure how to do so find someone to show you when this isolation allows.

it resembles a 'conventional grind' as someone mentioned elsewhere and seems to be used to get a cut where the tool needs to be at a higher angle.

Buggered if i can work out how to replicate as this one is wrong, but will youtube today and see if i can find a reasonable demo to try and duplicate.

thanks all

This is the Factory Grind for Superflute Bowl Gouge with a Parabolic Flute.

Only really suitable for shaping the outside of bowls.

This can be shaped to any of the Bowl Gouge grinds using jigs or freehand.

LaymarCrafts":3pg27s5i said:

To the best of my knowledge the superflute as designed by Peter Child and made by Henry Taylor does not have a parabolic flute.

LaymarCrafts":2xpw4ctz said:

thanks, interesting and gives something for me to have a google about if it will be of any use and if so how to resharpen.

Mark according to this listing it does?

Woodturning Tools.
Item Ref.: HS85

Tool Type: Bowl Gouge

Manufacturer: Henry Taylor Tools, Sheffield, UK

Blade Material/Heat Treatment: M2 HSS

Nominal Size*: 3/8

Blade diameter*: 1/2

Flute Profile: Superflute (Parabolic)

Grind Style: Square

Overall Tool Length: 23

Blade Length: 9

Flute Length: 6

Handle Length/Material: 14/Stained Beech

LaymarCrafts":1jlyaqqm said:
Mark according to this listing it does?

Woodturning Tools.
Item Ref.: HS85

Tool Type: Bowl Gouge

Manufacturer: Henry Taylor Tools, Sheffield, UK

Blade Material/Heat Treatment: M2 HSS

Nominal Size*: 3/8

Blade diameter*: 1/2

Flute Profile: Superflute (Parabolic)

Grind Style: Square

Overall Tool Length: 23

Blade Length: 9

Flute Length: 6

Handle Length/Material: 14/Stained Beech

Interesting. The code threw me at first as the superflute I'm familiar with is the original HS1 but I wasn't allowing for the other sizes. Where is the information from?

I should correct my previous post. The superflute was designed by Roy Child not Peter.

Back