What is this for?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t8hants

Established Member
Reaction score
As my workshop is slowly rebuilt I am finding long lost tools, or bits I have just aquired over the years. One of them is this little fellow below, it is obviously some form of marking guage, but what exactly would I use it on, or for. The trade mark is E.P.

Attachments

• bits 0111.jpg
    bits 0111.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 2,125
Nice little Edward Preston stringing router for making the little groove to receive stringing around furniture etc

Andy

EDIT duff call #-o #-o

See post below :wink:

Thanks Andy

Is the pin in the middle the original cutter or would that have different, as mine just comes to a point?

Gareth

I think it has seen better days! Nothing a quick dip won't sort out but I feel the nickel plating may very well be a gonna!

:mrgreen:

The "pin" might be because it was used as a marking gauge...might be that the cutter has eroded/corroded away.

You can make another one out of an old bandsaw blade.

Jim

Preston's Patent Reeding, Rabbeting and Moulding Tool

reeder.jpg

Preston England Rare Stringing Router with 3 fences and 3 cutters.

preston8712.jpg

Do you mean reeding tool?

Toby

jimi43":2jd0xzo1 said:
I think it has seen better days! Nothing a quick dip won't sort out but I feel the nickel plating may very well be a gonna!

They were japanned.

BugBear

bugbear":26cyd76j said:
jimi43":26cyd76j said:

They were japanned.

BugBear

Yes...I noticed that after the other one was posted.....makes a change for EP stuff.

I stand corrected....

Jim

Thanks for the info one and all, looks like I shall have to develop the knack of hacksaw blade profiling to use it fully

Gareth

Hey, I didn't know what it was, I googled Preston tools and looked around till I saw one.

But you would think that someone with a Preston avatar would.... Just kidding. :D

Toby

hi,
your old edward preston tool in question,
does any one know the value of these things as i have one but its missing the sliding side fence and bolt? how and would i get hold of these parts and whats the value, with and with out bits
many thanks,

this is my first post. any info would be great

tobytools":oc0v6z9f said:
hi,
your old edward preston tool in question,
does any one know the value of these things as i have one but its missing the sliding side fence and bolt? how and would i get hold of these parts and whats the value, with and with out bits
many thanks,

this is my first post. any info would be great

These are very useable tools for cabinet makers and you can make a fence out of almost any angled metal with a wooden bit added to prevent marking. You will probably pay as much for an original spare part fence as you would for the tool itself and short of a very lucky find of one with a broken casting...I'm afraid you may be looking for years.

£20-40 in pristine collectible condition with all the bits...collectors are very picky! Of course...if you put it on FleaBay you may find that there is someone out there with a complete one that has just fallen off their bench onto a hard floor...in which case you could get a very fair price....worth a punt!

Cheers

Jim

Thanks for the reply jim.
. how would I make a side fence and with what? Also where could I get the set of blades from I can't seen to find any any where. Its not worth as much as I hoped, I'll probley keep it and have a go at cabinet making. It says on the net that's it a rare item can you tell me why is no worth much? Also what's the date of this kind of item. Many thanks jim and sorry for so many questions, I love old tools and there history.

Sorry...for some reason I thought yours did not have a fence and it appears it does.

The cutters you can make out of old bandsaw blades or hacksaw blades.

You will need to file the shape you need. I did this when I wanted to shape some boxing for an old Gabriel plane:

This is the plane missing a section of boxing:

DSC_1835.JPG

Marking out the bandsaw blade:

DSC_1971.JPG

Shaping it....

DSC_1973.JPG

The final shaped cutter:

DSC_1979.JPG

In use:

DSC_1981.JPG

The result:

DSC_2001.JPG

I only show this to demonstrate the use of bandsaw blade steel as I have not made beading cutters...(before anyone points that out for me.... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: )

Of course your cutters need not be so complex...start out simple and make little beads...they are fun and what this plane is for.

Cheers

Jimi

Very nice, will try that but its the fence I need to make also of you could show me how to do that ut would be great. Thanks jim

tobytools":2n5idkj4 said:
Very nice, will try that but its the fence I need to make also of you could show me how to do that ut would be great. Thanks jim

The fence is the little right angled thing on the bottom left....you just loosen the screw (once you have freed it!!)...and it will slide to the right towards the cutter and thus allow you to cut your shape further or closer to the edge of the board.

On the subject of restoration...clean off all the loose rust and gunk with a toothbrush and some solvent (any will do...paraffin works well...Diesel...petrol (if you're rich!)...turps..anything really...but try not to be too rough as we need to see how much of the Japanning has come off. If it is terminal...I can show you how to cold Japan it...if you want to restore it.

Jim

But he doesn't have the fence Jimi,

tobytools, look at this pic.

image007.jpg

And All The Component Parts from top and from left to right, comprising,
Main Stock, Sliding Side Fence, Eye Bolt for holding cutter and cap in place, Cutter Cap,
Fence Bolt and Cutter.

Make one out of angle iron or wood, it won't be that hard to do, and it doesn't have to look like the original one.

Toby

Sorry...lost this thread completely. Isn't the first picture in the first post the one that he has?

I can't see any missing bits...did I miss something? :oops:

Jim

Latest posts

Back