What is this drill bit used for please?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geoff_S

Established Member
Reaction score
Found in my Dad’s toolbox. Just curious. Thanks.

1A837FF1-9270-4E4C-9DA0-A62E52BB7774.jpeg

I think it could be a counterboring drill bit.
The smaller diameter part, pilots in an existing hole, and the larger diameter cuts a counterbore.
It might be a metalworking drill and used when counterboring for socket head capscrews.

It is indeed a stepped pocket hole drill bit. The smaller point drills a hole the correct diameter for the screwthreads to bite into and the larger portion a hole large enough for the shank to slide into without binding.

It is indeed a stepped pocket hole drill bit. The smaller point drills a hole the correct diameter for the screwthreads to bite into and the larger portion a hole large enough for the shank to slide into without binding.
Almost. The larger diameter is clearance for the screw head. The smaller diameter is clearance (ish) for the threaded part of the screw.

That's what I meant. small hole for shank and larger for the head. Just got up then

I have one of these, my most used drill bit, it is indeed a pocket hole bit, for free hand pocket holes. The smaller bit goes in at 90 degrees then, with the drill still running, you lean the drill over to the desired angle and push in the direction you want the hole. Great for fencing, gates, noggins etc.

Latest posts

Back