What is this drainage pipe called?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PerryGunn

Established Member
Reaction score
I want to put in some foundations for a small wall but I have a loop of buried 'flexible' (well it's not rigid anyway) drainage pipe in the way. I can easily resolve this if I buy a longer length of the same pipe which I could route around the area where I want to put in the foundations.

Problem is I can't seem to find this type of pipe, it's approx. 90mm diameter and all the searches tend to bring up corrugated pipe with 80mm or 100mm external diameter.

It just runs from a downpipe to a manhole - probably not the way it would be done now but it's an old house, so it'd be a like for like replacement just rerouted.

pic1.jpg
pic2.jpg

Why do you want to replace it like for like. I would just buy the same size as the down pipe less hassle and cheaper.

Just a guess but it may be pitch fiber. I have never seen it in real life just read about in college back in the late 70s. I would avoid cutting or crushing it just carefully remove and put a bin bag inside another bin bag. It may have asbestos fibers so you should take it to the council recycling place for disposal.

When removing it if you paint it with pva it will help to contain any fibers.

I've looked up pitch fibre pipes and everything says that they were manufactured as rigid tubes, this pipe is flexible and curves around in a bend/loop.

The reason for looking for the same stuff is that it's 90mm diameter and other flexible pipes seem to be smaller or larger so I'd need to use size changing adapters or, potentially, replace everything up to the downpipe

I've looked up pitch fibre pipes and everything says that they were manufactured as rigid tubes, this pipe is flexible and curves around in a bend/loop.

The reason for looking for the same stuff is that it's 90mm diameter and other flexible pipes seem to be smaller or larger so I'd need to use size changing adapters or, potentially, replace everything up to the downpipe
I have some drainage pipe gasket fittings lying around to check, I think it might do a good job of plugging should it be the right size.
I'll take a piccy for ya in a mo and edit.
Presuming they make a joint for the Wavin pipe, it may be possible with this black piece.
SAM_6460.JPG
SAM_6462.JPG

Last edited:
Funnily enough removed some pitch fibre today and replaced with the more usual 110mm plastic. Mine was totally encased in concrete as apparently that is how they stopped it getting crushed, nowadays just pea shingle, used simple rubber connectors from one to the other an all's good.

Thanks for the offer @Ttrees but, if I'm going to replace everything, it's probably easiest if I visit my local pumber's merchant with photos (and dimensions where possible) and get them to provide everything I'm going to need

+1 for replacement with 110mm underground pipe ( brown) and fittings. Lay pipe on a decent bed of gravel or ballast falling towards the outlet/ manhole or junction etc

When it was made back in the 60s ? it would have been rigid.

Yes you should replace everything up to the down pipe. You do not want to try to make a connection to it since it may contain asbestos. Coat it in pva then remove it causing as little disturbance as possible. double bag it and take it to to a proper disposal site.

You will never be able to get a connection to it. a bandseal would just squash it and you can not cut it (asbestos) to try again.

If you do some sort of bodge it could come back to haunt you in a few years when councils no longer take small amounts of asbestos, assuming it is asbestos, and you have to pay to get it professionally removed.

Back