What is this called?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gremmy

смерть шпионам
Reaction score
These are planer blade/knife height adjustment screws that engage with the slots in the blade/knife.

One is particularly shabby and has been bodged as I assume the original went AWOL, this is how the machine came. There isn't really enough metal left to cut the slot deeper with grinding disc.

What are they named? I can't seem to find any? It's BSF thread and a solid piece.

I can't fabricate with BSF threaded bar and braze on a washer as I don't have the tools

Anyone have any ideas?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    172.3 KB · Views: 89
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    144.5 KB · Views: 84
What size thread is it? It looks to be 7/32" by scaling it off the rule. Does the thread need to go right up to the underside of the shoulder?
Brian

I’d suggest anyone 10% competent with a metal lathe can make you some more pretty easily, probably not expensive if you find a little place
Aidan

What size thread is it? It looks to be 7/32" by scaling it off the rule. Does the thread need to go right up to the underside of the shoulder?
Brian

Hi Brian,

It’s 1/4” BSF - I’ve put a tap through the hole and it’s matches thread pattern.

No the thread doesn’t need to go all the way up to the shoulder.

Attachments

• E474CAA8-C077-4EC7-9527-FC7138E18892.jpeg
    E474CAA8-C077-4EC7-9527-FC7138E18892.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
I’d suggest anyone 10% competent with a metal lathe can make you some more pretty easily, probably not expensive if you find a little place
Aidan

Ahh I thought you were volunteering there Aiden! 😉

it’s hard to find places like that where I’m not going to be charged silly money for such a small part..

You can be sure to get them on ebay.
look for slotted (or slot head) machine screws in 1/4" bsf

Hi sunnybob,

I can’t be sure to find one on eBay. Ive had a very thorough look for some days but I’m not sure what this type of screw is called hence the title name of my initial post.

It’s like a cheese head Machine screw with an extra wide shoulder below the head for fitting into the planer blade/knife slot.

If you can find me one on eBay, I’ll eat my hat 😉

Last edited:
Try this place to make the bits you want they are in Addlestone.
Holman Engineering Co. Ltd
Units 6
Kings Road Works
New Haw
Addlestone
Surrey
KT15 3BG
Tel: 01932 353555
Fax: 01932 353666
E-Mail: [email protected]
http://www.holman-engineering.co.uk/about.php
Might be best to go along personally i have always found that way you get to talk to someone that knows what he's talking about.

Hi Gremmy,
between me and my mate Bill we could make them for you. Send me a PM and we'll see what we can arrange
Brian

Back