What is the use of 3 head Tenoner

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi been make gates and wondered what the use of a 3 head tennoner is and if it’s worth getting over a 2 head tennoner , can I have some examples please would be great

Are you referring to the number of cutting blocks the machine has?

All of the machines I have used had at least 3, the First two cut the cheeks of the tenon, the 3rd and 4th block cut the scribe. If you only have a tenoner that has two cutter blocks I presume you can only cut square shoulders on tenons then need to scribe over any moldings on the stiles by hand?

Last edited:
A matched set of knives for the spindle and the scribe cutter for the 3 rd and or 4th blocks on the tennoner is the the way all three of the joinery shops I worked in operated. If you are only producing a small number of items maybe not.

Edited in an attempt to make sense.

Last edited:
The benefits are simply speed of production. To be able in one pass to tenon and scribe both shoulders of a rail at repeatable settings. However you do need a corresponding set of molding knives for the spindle molder to match the scribing cutter's on the tenoner to get the best result. Hope that makes sense.

Our tenoner broke once and I had to hand scribe 6 doors with I think 12 panes of glass each. I was dreaming about scribing...

Last edited:
Hi been make gates and wondered what the use of a 3 head tennoner is and if it’s worth getting over a 2 head tennoner , can I have some examples please would be great

2 head tenoner = usually 2 blocks for square shouldered tenon. Although the multico machine allows scribes to be fitted on one head and is easier to set up than the 3 head Sedgwick

3 head tenoner = usually 2 blocks for square shouldered tenon and additional head for a scribe, they are more flexible, as you can just use the 2 heads, then use all 3 without changing cutter heads.

bigger machines have a vertical shaft and can take window tooling that can tenon and scribe in one block.

4 head machines usually have a cut off saw as the first head.

They have a lovely old wadkin at the shop I sometimes hire some space in. That has 5 heads the last of which is a cut off saw I didn't think count that. Its nearly as big as my van:) and is an awesome lump of cast iron.

Back