What is the Most Significant Development Of 2005?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gill

Established Member
Reaction score
What would you consider to be the most significant development in the woodworking world during 2005?

For me, it would be the availability of quality scrollsaws at reasonable prices, but I realise the vast majority of woodworkers wouldn't agree with that choice :) ! Perhaps it might be the new Lee Valley MkII Sharpening Jig, possibly the increased availability of BU planes... or something else? Perhaps it might even be the introduction of a new woodworking technique?

Gill

Great question Gill! I think you have provided my answer for me - for me it's the availability of the Veritas BUS (and no doubt its partners in crime). It allows ordinary woodworkers to achieve extraordinary results easily.

Veritas BUS! Changed planing as I know/knew it!

Gill - would you name the decent scroll saw at a decent price? Would be interested to hear your recommendations. I cannot really afford a Hegner 2, do you think the Hegner 1 is worth it or should one save the pennies? Did you ever discover if the Axminster white jobbie was a Hegner clone, or have DeWalt agreed to sell the DW788 on this side of the pond?!

If the rumours are true, and from pictures here and an appearance in the latest GWW they seem to be, for me it would be a 10" CI table saw with sliding carriage for under £600 from Axminster badged in the perform colours. Havent seen one in the flesh yet - heck the Kent Axminster showroom didnt know anything about it last time I was in there but if its as good as it sounds from the initial info that has got to be good for the future of us woodworkers.

Cheers,

Steve.

Well the bevel-ups have been mentioned, so instead I'll include the continued publication and success of Woodworking magazine from PWW. It's nice to see a mag written for grown-up woodworkers can be done, and prove popular. Just hope one of the UK mags will surprise me next year and aim for similar ground. Conversely, the further slide of FWW into mediocrity is a significant development for all the wrong reasons. :(

Cheers, Alf

Hi Steve

I was thinking of the SIP 16" scrollsaw which is available for less than £60, but there's also the Jet JSS-16 (available from APTC) for £83, which I haven't yet seen in real life.

I still haven't seen the Axminster AWFS 18 :x but if I was in the market for a good quality saw I'd certainly think about travelling to APTC just to check it out. It's phenomenally cheap compared to Hegners. As far as I know, De Walt has no plans to market its saw on this side of the pond.

Although the Hegner 1 is a very good machine, I've become so used to the variable speed and quick tension release of the Hegner 2 that I'd consider the extra expenditure well worthwhile.

Gill

Interesting thoughts Gill, many thanks! I am near axminster but havent seen the Hegner in the flesh so am not in a position to provide a comparison either I am afraid.

Cheers,

Steve.

I'm confused, Steve :? . Your avatar gives your location as being Kent, which isn't too far from the Hegner showroom in Hailsham (if my fallible geography serves me well). Yet APTC is in Devon, a long way from Kent.

Gill

Indeed, its the Sittingbourne branch I am near. Mind you I now have to travel further since it relocated from Faversham, then I could have walked to it - now I have to drive 10 miles :roll:

Hailsham is in Sussex isnt it?

Steve.

StevieB":1wbsmflx said:
Hailsham is in Sussex isnt it?

That's right - about 50 miles from Sittingbourne, which isn't far to travel (IMHO) if you're thinking of spending a couple of hundred pounds on a piece of machinery. It's near the seaside too :D 8) (mind, so's Sittingbourne (homer) ).

Gill

Hmm, Gill - looking at the Hegner and Axminster specs I am not convinced they are the same. The Axminster is approx 7kg heavier, has a 4mm deeper blade stroke and a 20watt greater power rating. Its not really possible to tell from the pics if they are identical, although I agree they look similar. I think it would need deep pockets for a side by side comparison to be sure. Not sure about the quick tension release, Hegner say on their website theirs is unique but the lever position sure looks similar. Perhaps the Axminster is a Chaiwanese copy of the Hegner with a few subtle differences to avoid copyright issues?

Steve.

Back