What is the ideal height to mount a Woodrat (Little version)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ham

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm just staring to sort out my new space and one of the items needing mounting is my litle rat. I'm think of putting it about 1.2 metres up - what heights have fellow users adopted?
Cheers, David

I don't know if you ever make large items, but maximising space underneath means you will find it more versatile. Also, it cuts down on backache!

Adam

I'm think of putting it about 1.2 metres up - what heights have fellow users adopted?

It'll vary depending how tall you are.

Experiment. Prop everything up temporarily and set height until you feel you can operate with a comfortable posture, e.g. not stooping or bending knees, yet maintaining good sightline for setting up.

When I rearranged my workshop some time ago, I had no choice but to mount my Rat very high (head height) and to use it, I have to stand on a stepstool. It isn't ideal but as Adam suggests, it does allow long stuff to be machined in it.

ham what i did was to fix two 3x1 batterns to the wall 30" apart then to that i fixed a 3ft x 18" ply board you then fix your woodrat to this board , this board can be moved up or down to suit the height thats most comfortable to you . i have cut d/tails on wood 6ft high just by moving the board up the panels and standing on a box .

I've remounted mine about 3 times now I'm happy with about 1" lower than the top of my shoulders (gives max height below and I do not bend too much and can see all the settings etc.)

One down side of this height is that your face is at the router height, so you'll really need safety specs or goggles for the odd flying chipping.

Latest posts

Back