What is the easiest way ... ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dog

Established Member
Reaction score
....to fit a brass flush fitting ringpull handle, as pictured, into a box lid made from pine ?

Ringpull.jpg

Drill a hole large enough for the round bit in the middle to a depth just over the total depth of the ringpull (use a forstner or spade bit). Cut in any other mortices you may need to fit the mechanism on the underside with a chisel.
Now you can lay the ringpull down into the mortices so that the brass plate lies flush with the lid. I like to drill a couple of the holes in opposite corners at this point and gently screw it down so that it's nice and secure. Now cut around the edge of the plate with a Stanley knife, remove the ringpull and chisel it out to the depth of the plate. If you like, you could use a router for this bit to get the depth just spot on - freehand close to the the edges, then finish off with a chisel.
If you need to drill a countersink for your pilot holes - do that now, and Voila! It'll fit like a glove.

With brass stuff like this, don't be tempted to invert it and score around the edge first. It is very rarely symmetrical and so when you turn it the right way around it won't be a perfect fit.

Cheers
Aragorn

That was a serious question, right!?

Hmm, good question... I've never done it, it may not be the easiest way, and I'm more than willingly to learn different, but how I'd do it would be to make a recess for the middle (and I assume deepest?) bit first. That'd get the plate flush with the surface, so marking round that in order to remove the required depth should then be a piece of cake, relatively speaking. Personally I'd use a forstner bit (probably) and then a router plane, but only 'cos I don't trust myself with a powered router for that sort of task. But I might revise that if I had the actual hardware in my hand (yardarm clearing!). I wonder, am I even close? :?

Cheers, Alf

In case you didn't pick up on all those caveats; I don't know what I'm talking about and I defer to anyone who's actually ever fitted one. :wink:

Should Alf and Aragon get married ??

I have fitted a few of these myself Dog, and strangely enough I use the same method as Aragon, and just as Aragon says they are rarly square.

There are some circular ones availiable which are even easier to fit.

Bean

Thanks Bean. I bought this from good olde Screwfix and yes it is about as out of square as it can be. Where would I get a circular one ?

Bean":2g3126st said:
Should Alf and Aragon get married ??
Definitely not; we'd always be talking over each other... :lol:

Just a thought, but I bet a chandlery would be a good spot for all sorts of recessed handles, and of good quality too. But enough speculation, Martins have 'em. Go to Browse Products > Military> All.

Cheers, Alf

Dog I picked some up at a Carraige Works in Loughborough, they used to be popular on Trains and Buses. If you are near to a Chandlers they might be worth a try.

Bean

Rather than starting yet another thread, does anyone know how big the entrance holes should be in a dove cote, reason I ask is I'm designing and building one for a friend but having never built one before I'm a little unsure about the correct size for Doves ?

Thanks all and yes this is a sensible question :)

:lol: Yes Bean, that might be the answer but I'll have to shoot it first as I'm sure by the time I get the ladder out it'll have flown many miles from me :wink:

Back