What is the best solution?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steliz

Camberwell Carrot
Reaction score
A friend has asked me to put up some (4) shelves in a corner in her bathroom to store her towels. She's happy for them to be made from Oak effect laminated chipboard available from the local DIY store and the dimesions will be 400mm deep by about 500mm wide. The problem is that the bathroom walls are nowhere near flat or square to each other. Undulating in all directions would be a reasonably accurate description.
I could put them up individually using brackets but getting them level and parallel to each other will be a challenge.
I could put some batons on the wall and try to scribe them but I'm struggling to imagine that turning out well.
I could put them in a 2 sided cabinet which would be the tidiest solution but I would have to pack out the fixings somehow to keep it square.
I reckon the cabinet is the way to go but if anyone has any better ideas then please let me know.

Cut up an old cardboard box and make a template on the wonky walls. Draw that onto the shelf and cut with a jig saw with a reverse cut blade so as not to chip the finish too badly.

Then you can use the same template to cut battens to fit and screw the battens to the wall and rest the shelf on the battens.

I'd make a two sided cabinet. If the angle between the walls is less than 90º then a little packing in the corner will be needed but if greater than 90º a capping strip on one edge - possibly scribed in to the wall upright - would cover the gap.

Either way would (IMHO) look better than individual shelves on battens.

Back