WHAT IS THE BEST ROUTER TABLE.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MikeJhn":2xtj08j0 said:
I use a https://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-h ... tor-501264 which has the stated extraction of 2000M3/hr the NVD750 according to Numatic who make it has an extraction of 350M3/hr as I said I think that may be your problem, using the FM300 practically no chips or sawdust escapes forward of the fence extract to gum up the locking device hole.

Mike

In the last few minutes, I've re-configured the extraction so the waste is now extracted by a twin motor Camvac via an Onedia 'Super' Dust Deputy cyclone. The NVD is a pretty powerful vacuum cleaner and so doesn't move a great deal of air but it seems to be better...time will tell - Rob

A Camvac is even less powerful than the NVD and the cyclone will reduce the extraction even more, both are (LVHP) low volume high pressure units, what you need is a (HVLP) high volume low pressure Chip Extractor to make the extraction from the Router table top more efficient. Have a read of this post: a-guide-to-dust-extraction-by-member-siggy-7-t102025.html

Mike

The twin motor Camvac is about 390 cu. metres/hr which is not particularly good but seems better than the Numatic in my system. Agreed, it's not ideal but the downside of those Ax extractors (and similar) is that they actually push fine dust back out through top bag. With the Camvac, the fine dust is collected on the filters (which need cleaning once a week; a chore, but it needs doing) and what escapes through the twin output ports on top of the drum is directed through hoses underneath my suspended floor, which also cuts out a vast amount of racket from the brush motors:

IMG_1558.jpg

They also take up an awful lot of precious workshop floor space and it would be a bit tricky to fit one under the disc sander :lol: :lol: - Rob

Attachments

• IMG_1558.jpg
    IMG_1558.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 1,059
I doubt the cyclone will have much of a detrimental impact on the flowrate through Rob's system as it generates a high suction pressure. A cyclone when sized correctly for the system flow rate should generate about 6" (water) of pressure loss. Compare this to the suction pressure of a good chip extractor (about 12" - and bear in mind a lot of them with small fans are more like 6") and you can see that the pressure loss across the cyclone is a substantial portion of the capacity of the fan - so the configuration all needs specifying very carefully. The Camvac will be able to generate suction pressure in spades (I would guess in the region of 60") so will be much less affected by the cyclone.

Woodbloke66

I have a pleated paper filter fitted to the FM300BC which prevents find dust particles escaping very effectively.

Siggy_7

I bow to your logic, but is it not High Volume that is needed to take chips and dust away from a router table with a 100mm outlet and 63mm hose on the back of the fence T'd off the 100mm.

Mike

MikeJhn":r029q7qn said:
Woodbloke66

I have a pleated paper filter fitted to the FM300BC which prevents find dust particles escaping very effectively.

Mike

It still won't fit under my disc sander :lol:

Filter performance as stated in the bumf online is 30microns, so stuff smaller than this will still pass through into the 'shop. These machines with the filters are much better than they used to be; I know 'cos I had a blue Axminster machine years ago. At that time, filters weren't available and the only thing that it was any good for was p/t chippings; everything else went straight through the cloth mesh back into the 'shop :( - Rob

Fits under my barn roof without any problem. #-o :lol:

The paper filter is specified at 1micron, but I know where you are coming from, my numatic vacuum has four filters so very little escapes.

Mike

siggy_7":13uuafc0 said:
I doubt the cyclone will have much of a detrimental impact on the flowrate through Rob's system as it generates a high suction pressure. A cyclone when sized correctly for the system flow rate should generate about 6" (water) of pressure loss. Compare this to the suction pressure of a good chip extractor (about 12" - and bear in mind a lot of them with small fans are more like 6") and you can see that the pressure loss across the cyclone is a substantial portion of the capacity of the fan - so the configuration all needs specifying very carefully. The Camvac will be able to generate suction pressure in spades (I would guess in the region of 60") so will be much less affected by the cyclone.

Before I bought the cyclone, I had a long natter on the 'fone with the blokie at Toolovation (very nice chap btw and worth talking to about their stuff) He knew a lot about cyclones and had tried in the past to get the 'murricun guru (forget his name...doh (homer) ) to come over to the UK to give a series of seminars etc on cyclonic dust extraction, but unfortunately he was seriously ill and couldn't make it.

Anyway, to cut a long story sideways, he said that the twin motor Camvac would be very suitable for use with the Onedia 'Super' Dust Deputy. The other thing he emphasised was that when installing said device, everything below the cyclone MUST be air tight. Silicone sealant was my friend - Rob

We have drifted a long way from "What is the best Router table" , but the premise still stands, the UJK router table is a very good piece of kit, expensive, but you do get what you pay for, and is up and running within an hour of getting it into the workshop, I think if I tried to make my own with the same facilities it would take at least a week.

Mike

MikeJhn":3cnihlit said:
Woodbloke66

I bow to your logic, but is it not High Volume that is needed to take chips and dust away from a router table with a 100mm outlet and 63mm hose on the back of the fence T'd off the 100mm.

Yes it's volume of flow that takes dust and chips away. My router table has a 2.5" port on the fence and under table extraction; I find that a twin motor extractor like Rob's actually does a pretty decent job on mine. Cutters used in router tables are quite small compared to a 10" table saw blade or planer head, so the flow area around the cutter isn't that large provided you close the fence opening up and use the right insert rings - you can get away with a more modest flow rate. No harm in more flow if you've got the kit though!

Rob - I believe the American guru you are referring to is Bill Pentz.

Returning to the original topic, I stand by my assertion that the Incra is well worth a look. Using a router in a table has several functional aspects - the router, the method of adjusting router height (a lift or the router's built in mechanism), the table top and the fence. The table itself just needs to be big enough and flat - not very complicated requirements needing anything fancy. The fence (rigidity of mounting, adjustability and ease of adjustment) is what makes or breaks a router table in my experience, and the Incra offers a lot of advantages over other products.

siggy_7":1fjsos0u said:
Rob - I believe the American guru you are referring to is Bill Pentz.

Thanks Siggy, that's the chap. Sorry to drag this thread off topic, but an interesting discussion - Rob

MikeJhn":2i0917r6 said:
Raymond UK":2i0917r6 said:
MikeJhn":2i0917r6 said:
The JessEm Stock guides are in a different league to feather boards, due to their operation feather boards in front of the fence are very if ever needed.

Mike

Added to the Christmas list… Will these slot in standards UKJ T-track Mike?

They are fitted to my UJK table fence, so if the aftermarket T track is the same I assume so.

Mike

Christmas came a little early as I ordered these yesterday. Came through about 11 today and I'm impressed.

No more messing about setting featherboards all the time.

These are going to save me a lot of time!

Cheers for mentioning them Mike.

I think they are a major safety feature, I have them on my table saw as well, brilliant bit of kit.

MikeJhn":3076nuta said:
I have the UJK Router table and lift and have not had any major problems except one caused by myself trying to lift the router without unlocking the lift, the fence does not have a facility to move one half forward to allow planing, but a few shims would cure that, having said all that, I have bought the JessEm Clear Cut stock guides through Peter Sefton's site: https://woodworkersworkshop.co.uk/produ ... ock-guides the quality is beyond reproach to the point that if I was ever going to replace the UJK table (which I am not envisaging ever doing) I would seriously look at what JessEm had to offer, have a look on Peter's web site: https://woodworkersworkshop.co.uk/ different brands available.

Of all the Router chuck extenders (which you will need) this is the best of the few I have used: https://woodworkersworkshop.co.uk/colle ... usclechuck

Mike

Agree with Mike.

I have the same setup.

I have the UJK table + Router Lift and the Hitachi router and its excellent.

Its accurate, takes other accessories (jessem stock guides) and has decent dust collection. Overall it does the job well.

MikeJhn":2z2tnpj7 said:
I think they are a major safety feature, I have them on my table saw as well, brilliant bit of kit.

Definitely. I have had my finger caught once. Not properly, but enough to make you feel iffy and not be able to work for two weeks.

The table saw guides, don't they get in the way when using a push stick Mike?

I've used the router table a lot today routing all plinths and lid surrounds for the toy boxes I make and the guides have been absolutely brilliant. This is the kind of thing that you think of how have I managed without before.

Table looks a bit empty without all feather boards mind...

"The table saw guides, don't they get in the way when using a push stick Mike?"

You learn to work around them, its quite easy and a great safety aid.

MikeJhn":2nwjndjl said:
"The table saw guides, don't they get in the way when using a push stick Mike?"

You learn to work around them, its quite easy and a great safety aid.

I’m looking at upgrading to a new table saw in Jan so will keep these in mind.

Does the supplied T track just screw in / bolt in to the extended fence of the Axi 250?

Thanks btw. You’ve been a great help so far.

There have been a couple of mentions in this thread of the Ujk router lift. If the Ujk lift is used is a collet extension required to compensate for a potential lost plunge or more correctly I suppose lift?
Thank you.
Russell

Back