What is the Best and Your Favourite Movie of all time??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Theres no way I could make a definitive list. A favourite of mine that I would like to see again the most is Infernal affairs, I watched it years ago - got it on disk as a present from dad now - might make time and watch it soon.

Oi lay off Crocodile Dundee and I'd rather watch C.D 2 again than Skyfall. Similar 2nd halfs and the Outback is far better viewing than the grim bit of Scotland they picked.

Have a yearning to watch Withnail and I again, its been too long.

What about the Bourne trilogy? (Deliberately excluding the fourth). Rumour has it they start filming a fifth with MD in the new year.

Graham Orm":2u2hg2iq said:
What about the Bourne trilogy? (Deliberately excluding the fourth). Rumour has it they start filming a fifth with MD in the new year.
Yes, just watched the first one again last night. Excellent films (excuding the Jeremy Renner one).

Pan's Labyrinth was a cracker that hasn't been mentioned here, won't suit everyone though I'd imagine.
Can't pick a favourite, just so many that have held me spellbound in one way or another. Good call on One flew over the cuckoos nest. The book is even better, written from The Chief's perspective. Might have to dig that out the wardobe and give it another read.
Ice cold in Alex is another old fav! Soooooo many films!

Catch 22, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest again, Taxi Driver, Chinatown and of course The Life of Brian.

There were a lot of very good films in the 70s, I like a lot of the cynical storytelling of that era, which probably shaped me for a few years.

hmm - a very tricky one but here's my little list:

Dances with Wolves, love the music and the epic open plains.
Dune - a good adaptation of the books
K-Pax. I believe.
The Last Samurai - Tom Cruise's (to date) most definitive role.
Field of Dreams
Strictly Ballroom, the final dance always brings me goosebumps
Contact
Dark Star - that red tomato alien always had my dad in stitches

Most of Michal J Fox's live acting films for their feel good factor
Any of the old films that had SFX by Ray Harryhausen
Blade Runner - and I've read the book too.

Twister - there's just something about that film that always sucks me in every time it's on.

There's a whole bunch of other films I like but those above are one's I'll pretty much stop dead to watch

rafezetter":10jztg3s said:
hmm - a very tricky one but here's my little list:

Dances with Wolves, love the music and the epic open plains.
Dune - a good adaptation of the books
K-Pax. I believe.
The Last Samurai - Tom Cruise's (to date) most definitive role.
Field of Dreams
Strictly Ballroom, the final dance always brings me goosebumps
Contact

Most of Michal J Fox's live acting films for their feel good factor
Any of the old films that had SFX by Ray Harryhausen

Twister - there's just something about that film that always sucks me in every time it's on.

There's a whole bunch of other films I like but those above are one's I'll pretty much stop dead to watch

Dark Star.....forgot all about that. Me and my mates as well as your dad. It became a cult watch whenever we had a video night when video shops were new. The beach ball alien was hilarious.

Speaking of Samurai what about 7 Samurai ? (The original Magnificent 7). Classic B&W and dubbed. I remember one night when I was about 9 or 10 and being allowed to stay up late with my dad watching it. We were both mesmerised.

I like any movie that leaves me thinking for an hour or so afterwards. Anything with Morgan Freeman or Kelly Brooks.
QNPT39k.jpg

Attachments

• QNPT39k.jpg
    QNPT39k.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 741
heres a few

Schindlers list
pulp fiction
Bridge over the river Kwai
12 angry men
Life of Brian
Goodfellas

rafezetter":djyfloqf said:
Dick... [it's a jest]

rafezetter":djyfloqf said:
And silent running. Back then, in my teens, it felt like you were watching the truth being revealed, that others understood. Our generation should be making better films for the current crop of developing teens to be influenced by.

monkeybiter":1x3noa8q said:
And silent running. Back then, in my teens, it felt like you were watching the truth being revealed, that others understood. Our generation should be making better films for the current crop of developing teens to be influenced by.

Well they are - sort of - the plethora of remakes of all the stuff from 20-30 years ago, but with better cgi fx (note I only say FX, not plot)

you are right though that the likes of godfather, schindlers list, shawshank and all the others generally regarded as the classics are just not made anymore, whether it's because the talent isn't there or it's less about the story and more about the money I have no idea, but I suspect it's a bit of both.

And Life of Brian is prolly one of the most quoted films of all time.

Has no one mentioned Some Like it Hot? One of my favourites plus the PROPER Dr Zhivago. Menacing Rod Steiger and brill Omah Sharif and Tom Courtney plus the delicable Julie C and Gereldine Chaplin! And all that snow!! (yes I know it was fake and mostly filmed in Spain)

Phil

rafezetter":28c9rzyh said:
you are right though that the likes of godfather, schindlers list, shawshank and all the others generally regarded as the classics are just not made anymore, whether it's because the talent isn't there or it's less about the story and more about the money I have no idea, but I suspect it's a bit of both.

Which is exactly what people were saying in the 90s, while Schindler's List and The Shawshank Redemption were being made. And every other decade!

It's hard to be a classic when you've only just been released, after all.

Another vote for Pans labyrinth.
12 Monkeys
Forbidden Planet
Fifth Element
Pulp Fiction
Elf
Corpse Bride
Hot fuzz/Worlds End/Shaun of the Dead/Paul

Pete

So hard to say what is a good film. It depends on the metric of "good". I have to admit I don't go to the cinema expecting high art, or fundamental insight into the nature of being human. Mostly I just want to be entertained.

But at least some of my faves are coming up now. I admit to enjoying sci-fi, and Silent Running is one of those films I was allowed to stay up late to watch as a kid. It moved me enough to buy it on DVD, worth it for the Joan Baez soundtrack alone. Thanks Monkeybiter for reminding me ! And +1 for Forbidden Planet. The monsters from the id. A great film, and useful for scrabble too !

Can I guiltily add that I rather like The Wicker Man too. The proper one that is, not that rubbish with Nicholas Cage. I was quite surprised to discover some people see it as a conventional horror movie with the Christian copper as the innocent victim. My sympathies were entirely with the pagan islanders !

I had forgot about The Wicker Man!
The Hunger is good as well and Vamp!

I guess a lot depends on what mood you are in.

Pete

The Life of Bryan was the wife and I's first date so I have got include that!

Back