What is the Best and Your Favourite Movie of all time??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JSW

Established Member
Reaction score
Following on from an earlier post Here

I have this conversation with friends regularly, and it stems from an old BASF Video Tape advert from the late seventies in which (IIRC) Andre Previn asked "What is the Best Movie of all time?" The answer of course was one recorded on BASF tape, but that always made me think of it as a double edged question, because your favourite movie may not be the same as the one you consider the best, so, what do you all consider the Best Movie of all time, and your Favourite Movie of all time?

I'll start.

Best: Inception (2010) /The Departed (2006) (Sorry, can't choose, don't get me started on 3rd place)

Favourite: The Quiet Man (1952)

Feel free to expand on why if you wish.

My favourite 2001: A Space Odyssey, for the realistic physics, the story, the slow pace and exquisite direction.

A good film I don't want to watch again is About Time, in particular the bit when the main character and his father revisit their trip to the beach. I'm glad I was alone in the house.

Best/Favourite would be Million Dollar Hotel (Dir. Wim Wenders) and either Panic, starring William H Macey, Neve Campbell and Donald Sutherland, or True Romance, mainly for the very un-PC dialogue between Christopher Walken and Dennis Hopper - truly one of the best scenes ever in Movie history in my view.

My favourite is "On Any Sunday" Steve McQueen etc not exactly a movie but I could watch it everyday.
One film I saw recently was called "The Green Mile" and although never heard of it before I was pretty impressed even though its a pretty long movie.

Cheers
Brian

I think 2001 is probably the best fillum ever if you've read the book, and one of the worst if you haven't.

My favourite is The Great Race. It has everything.

Too numerous to list, but...

My Fair Lady, The Blues Brothers, Pulp Fiction ... for starters.

Metropolis by Fritz Lang for best movie.
Triumph of the Will by Leni Reifenstahl for favourite :shock: OK just kidding. Starship Troopers as favourite just for the fun way they interpreted a pretty dark novel

Best movie Ben Hur Favourite movieNo Country For Old Men. Followed by Shawshank Redemption .........................Crocodile Dundee!? Really?????

monkeybiter":1xr182rc said:
A good film I don't want to watch again is About Time, in particular the bit when the main character and his father revisit their trip to the beach. I'm glad I was alone in the house.

Just watched it. Great film. I completely agree with your comment about the beach walk scene.

Zeddedhed":1l3thduz said:
monkeybiter":1l3thduz said:

Just watched it. Great film. I completely agree with your comment about the beach walk scene.

I lost my Dad in 2009, at which point I was caring for an elderly man with a terminal illness. Of course I was sad at the time, but I don't think I properly mourned the Dad I had grown up with until I watched the film this year.

Change of pace; Guardians od the Galaxy was a refreshingly good fun romp.

Films I re-watch : Blues Brothers [extended version pref.]
Oh Brother where art thou?

Favourites?

Matrix (I found the underlying concept fascinating); Lawrence of Arabia; Das Boot; Gone with the Wind; Jean De Florette/Manon Des Sources; Four Weddings and a Funeral - all have stood the test of time. Then there's the Godfather films and......

Edit to add: Great Expectations (1946 version)

Best?

Can't say....

Coincidently, I watched About Time the other day - good film.

I'm a great Western fan so my favourite is She Wore a Yellow Ribbon starring John Wayne - I've watched it at least 10 times.

John

Aren't you all forgetting Godfather and One Flew over the Cuckoo's nest (as well as Shawshank)? I might even throw in a Great Escape for the hell of it to say nothing of Gone with the Wind and even Jungle Book!

I unashamedly like action films and chick flicks. I love movies generally so this is a very guard question and can;t be answered definitively.

Action: Gladiator (good story, great music, watched many times), Top Gun (best aerial scenes ever), Troy (Brad was at his best in that)
I can force myself to watch Angelina Jolie as Lara Croft quite easily
Chick flicks: too many to mention but I am partial to Kate Beckinsale and thought she was beautiful in Pearl Harbour
Late at night a Clint Eastwood western can get my attention

Sound of Music is a classic from my childhood and I still like it. I would have married Julie Andrews when I was 10. Lawrence of Arabia was memorable, but partly for the music.

Kids: the Narnia movies are actually very good and again some of the music is clever.

I agree that About Time is a good film. Not sure we will be remembering it in 10 years though.

I don't think I have a favourite and best is not something I feel qualified to judge , but here is a short list of my "watch out for" flicks. A big hand for the little lady- classic hustle and comedy.
The usual suspects- wonderful pacing and writing.
The seven samurai- subtitles and all a great film.
Ran - the best rip-off of King Lear ever.
Princess mononoke- Anime with grace and style.
There are so many more that I feel guilty about not mentioning them ,but that would come to nearly the length of a novel.

Latest posts

Back