What is it ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JFC

Established Member
Reaction score
My next job is to build bookcases with raised and fielded panneling below them . I have to mach some panelling in the hallway of the building and the grain pattern looks like oak but its been made to look like dark mahogony and has a high sheen to it . It looks like see thro brown paint .
Any ideas what this finish is ? im guessing its an old way of finishing as the building is a few hundred years old .

JFC,
Sounds like an oil based thixotropic coloured grain filler has been used and/or a few coats of pigmented mahogany finish - Ronseal do two of the latter (regular and deep mahogany) that would probably do what you need. If you aren't filling the grain with a couple of coats on a test piece, start with the grain filler - that might only need a clear finish on top.

Thanks Chris , i called a french polisher this morning and while speaking to him i noticed my jap oak dresser has the same finish so hes comming round to have a look . Im only guessing but i bet it was the 70s when they decided to make everything look like quater cut sapele

Latest posts

Back