What is it?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK...guess it's down to me to choose the next one? Is that how it works?

whatisit.jpeg

Looks like the same sort of principal as a bearing extractor ... pushing or pulling something that can be held by the two curved side bits ... by the lugs above them, I'm guessing pulling? :?: :?: :-k

( I hope I'm no where near - I haven't got a mystery object lined up ...)

Not really :D It is a patent model and never put into production..at least as far as the author of my source knows. Looking at it, I think I can see why!

It seems to be for cutting in the upward stroke so must be working through a preworked hole but not reaming, if it is cutting while rotating then its traveling up the work piece must be reaming or thread cutting surely? or cutting a groove very carefully?

I know I said wood but I keep coming back to an idea that won't go away so as a long shot is it for cutting/ processing coconuts ie, cut your nuts in half and then clamp this on and slice up the insides. :shock: :shock:

Well dobe..close enough!

Patent Model of Hub Borer This patent model has its original tag and was designed to make the job of boring wagon wheel hobs an easier task Think of it as a beam bore meant to fit over a round wheel. I have never seen the manufactured version, and this might well be one of those that was never put into production..

from this website http://www.antiqbuyer.com/All_Archives/ ... rchive.htm

Your turn

Sorry for the delay in posting my "what is it" but I had to have a good rummage to find something challenging it's not a woodworking tool but that would be to easy.!

It's made of cast iron and machined steel and at a guess post war but may be wrong.
So what is it and what does it do?

PC290114.JPG

PC290118.JPG

Attachments

• PC290114.JPG
    PC290114.JPG
    157.4 KB · Views: 261
  • PC290118.JPG
    PC290118.JPG
    187 KB · Views: 261
knappers":13k8olzz said:
Looks a bit like some kind of package strapper.

Si
Blimey that was quick, I thought it would take a bit longer than that!

Yep wire binder, tightens and then twists to lock and then cuts the ends off, I think I seen wooden creates fastened this way.

PC310120.JPG

PC310121.JPG

PC310122.JPG

PC310123.JPG

Attachments

• PC310120.JPG
    PC310120.JPG
    176.8 KB · Views: 253
  • PC310121.JPG
    PC310121.JPG
    170.9 KB · Views: 253
  • PC310122.JPG
    PC310122.JPG
    174.1 KB · Views: 253
  • PC310123.JPG
    PC310123.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 253
toolsntat":2oj414s4 said:
Yes , you melt the lead (or used head) in the bowl and then tilt it back so the new head forms around the tube shaft.
The shaft has been crimped at the end to stop the head moving and seal the tube :idea:

Cheers
Andy

Sorry, been away:

lead_hammer.jpg

BugBear

Back