What is it?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squib

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I found this,not the chisel, whilst doing some building work in Italy, it is well made and hand forged. I have seen others in boot sales in Italy but no one has given me a satisfactory explanation as to its use.
The most popular seems to be a set of fixed dividers for a set measurement, a bit over engineered I think.
I am hoping someone here may shed a little light.

Attachments

• 20170922_093638_resized-567x756.jpg
    20170922_093638_resized-567x756.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 913
Does the outside of the top ring show any signs of being hammered?

I'm wondering if the points were meant to stick in something (or not, which would be equally indicative)

BugBear

Not sure but a much smaller incarnation is used to hold some oil can lid chains in position.
Also on the end of a chain it could be inserted through a link to make a loop as in old animal tethers.
The theory is that it can be inserted lengthways and when pulled centrally with the eye it will not exit the hole.
With this in mind your item could be used as a temporary lifting eye or anchoring point.

Cheers
Andy

toolsntat":2cv79jky said:
Not sure but a much smaller incarnation is used to hold some oil can lid chains in position.
Also on the end of a chain it could be inserted through a link to make a loop as in old animal tethers.
The theory is that it can be inserted lengthways and when pulled centrally with the eye it will not exit the hole.
With this in mind your item could be used as a temporary lifting eye or anchoring point.

Cheers
Andy
Sort of like a toggle in a duffle coat.

Ah - found an example, where a toggle is used to shorten a chain;
aa.jpg

BugBear

Attachments

• aa.jpg
    aa.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 798
There doesn't seem to be any sign of hammer marks but to me it looks like it should be set into timber rather than stone as the arms are sharpish, another reason why I am not sure about the chain idea. From the way it is forged there can be no spring in it and the arms are over 90 deg??
I shall ask the steel man up the road as he is a farmer aswell, maybe he can shed some light.

squib":sx9hc765 said:
There doesn't seem to be any sign of hammer marks but to me it looks like it should be set into timber rather than stone as the arms are sharpish, another reason why I am not sure about the chain idea. From the way it is forged there can be no spring in it and the arms are over 90 deg??
I shall ask the steel man up the road as he is a farmer aswell, maybe he can shed some light.
The "chain" idea is just an example of the more general "toggle" idea.

But the sharpness of the points argues against this, of course.

BugBear

squib":ggi45aun said:
The most popular seems to be a set of fixed dividers for a set measurement, a bit over engineered I think.

What is the distance between the points?

NazNomad":198h2g31 said:
squib":198h2g31 said:
What is the distance between the points?
I don't think this is right - you'd bend the points to point nicely downward, perpendicular to the marked/measured surface.

BugBear

I agree that it would not seem to be a pair of dividers.
There is no spring in it as it is stamp forged across the join.
It measures 177mm across the points.
On closer inspection there are possible signs of being hammered in perpendicular to each spike.
I think now it must be a fitting rather than a tool.

squib":2j02zo80 said:
I agree that it would not seem to be a pair of dividers.
There is no spring in it as it is stamp forged across the join.
It measures 177mm across the points.
On closer inspection there are possible signs of being hammered in perpendicular to each spike.
I think now it must be a fitting rather than a tool.
We don't know that yet - consider a joiners dog, which is "similar".
https://www.popularwoodworking.com/wood ... e-clamping

I think I'd call that a tool (just!).

BugBear

*mumbles...'I think Morturn is right'
Looks to my eye like its a crude eyebolt made to be bedded into mortar between stone or brick work. Angle is stop it popping out.

Hmm....they have eye bolts here for masonry and the ends are squished and aerated to grip....these are much more like a chisel tang.....

Quite. It can't be hammered into anything as the pins diverge. It doesn't look right to be set in mortar - those nice square tapers would help it work loose, not grip.

Looking at the square tapers and trying to think why it has them... Does it work as a crude reamer, using one square taper in the hole and the other as a handle? Are they two different sizes, to enlarge a hole a little with one, then a bit more with the other?

If not, I still can't think of anything that needs a loop with two wooden handles at right angles.

I thought of the reamer idea as they are very "sharp"but the arms are the same size, they are very slightly out of square ,end view, but only so much as would be expected for hand made.
I feel each tang may have been set into a pole for vine support or similar but it is most peculiar not to be 90deg.
I have now asked a reclamation yard, the local steel man and haven't seen the farmer yet......tbc.

Back