What is going on on eBay??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You need to be careful how you use ebay just this week I have purchased a buy it now rear light for my van the best price locally I could find was £86 for a Hella and £54 for an unbranded and the one I bought from a ebay seller was £20.75 delivered and was a perfect fit. Any auction can go crazy depending on how many people are interested.

Why anyone bids before the dying seconds of a timed auction is beyond me!

I agree. It forces up the price.

The only time I now do this is when I wont be near a computer at the time the bid finishes. At least this way I might have a chance, but usually not.

I agree. It forces up the price.

The only time I now do this is when I wont be near a computer at the time the bid finishes. At least this way I might have a chance, but usually not.

you can get an app to bid for you 😉

ebay reflects what's going on in this strange world. Currently dealers cannot get stocks and that has pushed consumer demand for anything that the public think they must have ! At the low end anything made in China is almost impossible to buy new and many of the major brands such as Bosch Makita Dewalt source parts from the far east which they cannot get. Hence dealers connot stock new kit - the Perfect Storm !
The good news is there gonna be a hell of a lot of nearly new kit on ebay going very cheap for those who don't go with the herd.

It's a good place to sell but not to buy. I like sifting through the chaos of Facebook sales. It's like going through old junk shops.

There’s an Elu router on there for £550 at the moment
I can beat that, there was a brand new Triton JOF router for over £1200!
Unless the collet is milled out of solid gold, it makes me think it might be a "cash cleaning" business!

You need to be careful how you use ebay just this week I have purchased a buy it now rear light for my van the best price locally I could find was £86 for a Hella and £54 for an unbranded and the one I bought from a ebay seller was £20.75 delivered and was a perfect fit. Any auction can go crazy depending on how many people are interested.
Trick is to look for auctions that end at wired or ungodly hours. Very few people will be in the fever, so one can get a decent price.

To avoid paying relisting fees, i have heard that sellers simply put wacky high prices on stuff they no longer have in stock,when new stock arrives they simply alter the price in the listing. If in the meantime someone is daft enough to snap up a item for 20 times its worth then thats just a nice little bonus.

To avoid paying relisting fees, i have heard that sellers simply put wacky high prices on stuff they no longer have in stock,when new stock arrives they simply alter the price in the listing. If in the meantime someone is daft enough to snap up a item for 20 times its worth then thats just a nice little bonus.

It is more about acting as a placeholder for the search engine.

Ebay is not what it used to be, I wanted some structural timber screws and after looking on Ebay I contacted the company directly for price and delivery and saved 35%. The reason given was that people just buy on Ebay and think it is the cheapest place to go so many trades just put their stock om there and any sales are a bonus.

There doesn't seem to be any consistency.

Sometimes ebay is cheaper than amazon, sometimes other way around sometimes somebody else is cheapest.

A couple of times the local hardware was cheapest, before it closed. :(

It would be too simple and boring if the same place was always best.

A number of years ago I was searching around for a used lawnmower.

I guess my daughter was getting fed up with me talking about it so she said " Why don't you just buy a new one then you will know what you have?"

"You can afford it"

My response was "What would be the fun in that"

Hi,

Years ago I gave away free to a friend a "Sound Sales" vintage valve radio I'd bought previously for only a tenner but decided not to restore it because it was like an industrial type with a cube shaped metal cabinet and little appeal also it needed connecting to speakers.

My friend placed this radio on eBay and it sold for £200. A week later a clone of this radio sold on eBay for £800. I wasn't in the least bothered after all it only cost me a tenner but shows how erratic eBay prices can be.

Kind regards, Colin.

A few years back I parted company with a small 12v microwave that I’d got to use in my truck at work which never really got used as trucks are 24v and voltage droppers didn’t behave very well with it...anyhoo,even though it hadn’t had much use it sat around for quite a while and did look quite used when I threw it on eBay to get rid of it..and at 3 years old I got more for it than it cost me brand new.

Sometimes, it is possible to do well on eBay. Many private sellers are frustrated with buyers who make promises and then fail to meet their obligations either by not showing up to collect or insisting on haggling upon collection.

There are a few old school sellers left who form an opinion about a buyer based upon communication and not just upon feedback. Far better for a buyer to turn up, pay what they agreed and be delighted than to agree a higher price and be screwed over or intimidated upon meeting the wideboy seller.

I bought a lovely hand made router table and DW 625 router (hardly used) for a very decent price even though others had come along later and offered the moon. How? by being honest and turning up when I said I would and agreeing to not haggle before travelling (and I didn't try to renegotiate)

Also, commercial trader prices need to be watched. It's often cheaper to go directly to their website and buy the same stuff for less than on eBay as there is no commission charge and eBay only services as a wider hosted market place for those who want convenience and are willing to pay for it.

I listed a Biomass Boiler about 2 months ago, and so far have had 629 views and 7 on watch list, and still no offers or questions. Surely their's not this many people after one so why view it, can't make it out.

I listed a Biomass Boiler about 2 months ago, and so far have had 629 views and 7 on watch list, and still no offers or questions. Surely their's not this many people after one so why view it, can't make it out.

It will be 630 after I have a peep at it.
I just can't help myself, someone mentions something (anything at all) that is for sale somewhere online and I have to have a nosey.
No intentions of buying anything but still have to look

Back