Quantcast

What is actually going on?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Trevanion

Greatest Of All Time
Reaction score
Whilst I quite like the direction the site has taken as far as style and the new system I'm really not sure what to say about how vague all the goings-on are in the background and I'm a bit of a skeptic at heart so I've got a few questions which I think might be a shared interest from the community.

Understandably everyone is a little bit annoyed there wasn't any forewarning that this change was coming along but I am mostly curious who these new overlords are that haven't introduced themselves at all, a bit of a warning and introduction before the big change would've been nice but what's done has been done and it isn't like it hasn't happened before once or twice.

I can see that Charley the original owner is no longer on the staff list, does that mean he's no longer anything to do with UKW and has sold it on or something like that? If the forum has been bought, who by?

There seems to be a bit of focus now on helping to "support" UKworkshop by means of donations, where do these donations actually go as it seems a bit dubious? I'm sure a few members would be more than happy to plug a few quid in to keep the lights on but I would imagine no one wants to be funding a big corporation that's servicing multiple forums if Charley has gone down the route of selling the forum. Again, a couple of members have asked what the running costs actually are and what happens with the excess money raised, which I think is a fair question deserving of an answer.

I really don't like it when things are very vague, I like the facts laid out on the table in front of me and I would imagine a few others would like it too.

Trevanion

Greatest Of All Time
Reaction score
You might be a sceptic though, being a Brit. ;)
That's the only problem with the spell checker I use! It americanises everything, and if I'm unsure about something I tend to go with it and hope for the best.

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
@Trevanion and all the other interested parties.

What is actually going on?

During the last few days Charley sold the forum to a small company called Group Builders aka 7 Global Community Solutions. While it is a company for business protection purposes it's a couple of guys and me. There are a few other forums that are owned and technically operated while the mods, and members stay the same. A couple of them are in the UK, a couple in USA. The advanced notice of change would have been nice, rather than a shock when you logged in. Things were in the works during that time period and not something I deal with.

I am the face of the company that you will most usually see as I get to know the mods and some of the members and try to keep the forum running smoothly and growing.

When I first saw the forum was earlier this week when on the old software and only for a day and I was not logged in. The next time I saw it I was setting up the basic permissions to keep it functioning for all until it could be tweaked to get best fit for the membership here. We are in the tweaking mode.

As to the funds to run the forum, they are a for the servers, the add-on software, the developer that does some custom work to get things running as close to the old way as we can with this current software. And me. The income is slightly more than the costs, but no one is getting rich from it, but doing a bit more than breaking even. As to the books and costs that's for the tax accountant.

I will be usually checking in once or more during the day and I do get notifications should something come up that needs me to pop in and help with.

Me, I'm just a Mom and Grandmom that likes forums and the internet. I've been doing this for a friend from 2005 to 2012 then started helping out with Group Builder after that. I first experienced Group Builder as you are now, and I was a mod then. I do understand the confusion and why that is experienced when this happens. I like to think that since I went through what you are going thru now I can help better and understand more.

I do live in Alabama USA, but I visit the world via my laptop, tablets and phone. I do not do mechanical or wood working but I do sew and crochet. I did have an uncle that did some nice woodworking and I do have an appreciation for your practical and arts applications of what you are doing. And my Dad and brother have done auto mechanical workings.

As to UKWorkshop and the outlook. Same rules, same mods, hopefully same members and some new ones along the way. I don't butt in a lot, but I do occasionally put in a post when I see something I especially like or if I am online and see a spam post that needs bashing.

I hope this answers most of your questions. I know there may be some more. And I apologize for this taking a couple of days to be presented, but actually it takes a good bit of time to set things up and I needed to get to know you all just a bit also.

Angie

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I hope with the member's help we can keep it going. We try very hard to keep the security tight and the software up to date. And not be too annoying with the ads, that's why when logged in you can disable them.

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Good news for those that hate Paypal. There is a second way to Support UKWorkshop if you choose to do so. You can use a credit or debit card. Thanks for any that decide to use it.

Trevanion

Greatest Of All Time
Reaction score
Not really 100% sure how I feel about a forum called UKworkshop being run by a company out in the US which is actively pushing "donations".

But then, as Andy says it's probably better than it just disappearing one day with the years of accumulated knowledge with it and it'll probably be better than the situation before where we had an uninterested owner who was just letting the forum die a slow death.

Just something to get used to I suppose, perhaps my accidental Americanisms won't look so daft now, eh Mike?

Droogs

Is that chisel shar ... Ow
Reaction score
Thank you very much for the explanation Angie. Hopefully you will be here often enough to get bitten by the wood bugs and have a go at it

beech1948

Established Member
Reaction score
Angie,
Great reply. My issue with what has happened so suddenly is that as an American company you will be tempted to develop the site towards US tastes. We as the UKWorkshop will not be happy with that as we find the techniques/methods used by many american to be unsafe. So much so that we kind of point these things out with a knowing smile. No doubt all of your american viewers will snarl and moan about this characterisation but it is true.

The Ukworkshop is a fairly unique place and I for one am concerned that your company will ruin it.

Al

MikeG.

Damocles.
Reaction score
I for one welcome our new Group Builder overlords. :) I'm delighted to hear that we'll have an active and available Administrator. The mods?....Well, maybe Angie will take a look at that in due course. All in all, it could have been an awful lot worse, and given the evidence of the first few hours under new management I have a good feeling about things here.

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
No need to worry about American tastes. This stays UK British centric.
I do respect your concerns about an American company and British being changed. I've been working with a British homebrew forum for about 4 or 5 years now and it's still British. I learn more from you than I could ever change it.

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I for one welcome our new Group Builder overlords. :) I'm delighted to hear that we'll have an active and available Administrator. The mods?....Well, maybe Angie will take a look at that in due course. All in all, it could have been an awful lot worse, and given the evidence of the first few hours under new management I have a good feeling about things here.
Overlords, oh my! I'm more of an enabler.

Doug71

Established Member
Reaction score
I am happy paying a few quid to help keep the forum up and running, you don't get much for free these days. As long as things keep running smoothly I don't mind someone making a few quid from it, good on them for taking it on, I would rather that than the forum disappear.
All we can do is see what happens, things look good so far, as long as it stays that way I don't have any problems :)

MikeG.

Damocles.
Reaction score
.........Just something to get used to I suppose, perhaps my accidental Americanisms won't look so daft now, eh Mike?
Carruthers is rather dreading this new situation. Despite appearances to the contrary, he really doesn't enjoy flogging people for Americanisms, and besides.......the clearing up afterwards.......... Oh dear. And now there'll be confusion as well. Just think of the stress the poor old chap is going through right now.

Last edited:

SammyQ

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, well, well....

THAT took a lot of pressure to get a meaningful, response. Why, why, why, in the name of Jebbus, Mary and the wee donkey couldn't this simple explanation have "fronted up" the 'new' format forum? Angie, you might be a loveable, cuddly, splendid formatter doing this from a deep well of altruism and 'cos 'ya just lurve people', but we are a deeply conservative bunch of codgers and we like to know whst is going on.
I am just as sceptical as Trevannion. I would remind you, we are "two peoples separated by a common language" and that doesn't just mean jointer and planer. I just hope you are as pliant and accommodating as you are assuming we are and we'll get along just swell.
Welcome. Honest.

Sam

Latest posts