What is a good starting lathe?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alan_mcleod

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am in a position to be purchasing a lathe for the first time. It's likely to be used mainly for small bowls, goblets and similar - at least at first. My budget is about £200-£250.

Any recommendations?

(Please, UK suppliers only)

Thank you,
Alan

hello and welcome Alan,
Keith Rowley - a foundation course. (a book) is invaluable reading for someone starting up. It will show you what you will need, why you need it and how to use it safely. probably the best tool you can buy for a tenner!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Woodturning-Fou ... 1861081146

Keep an eye out on a well known auction site for kit, or if you're buying new, Axminster have a few small lathes in your price range, with a couple on offer at the mo.
http://www.axminster.co.uk/lathes--wood ... 08145_pg1/

Now don't let me put you off, but you will need to be aware that the lathe is almost the cheap part of the starting up kit.
You will obviously need gouges (chisels) and some method of sharpening them (which you may need to do from new).
The lathe will probably come with a faceplate and 2 prong drive for holding the timber, if not you'll need them too.
and not to forget your mask and goggles or face-shield, and a small coaster to prevent shavings from going in your cuppa :)

check out these previous posts..

starter-set-of-chisels-t59092.html?hilit=starter

looking-to-take-up-wood-turning-t57340.html?hilit=starter

which-tools-t56655.html?hilit=starter

best-books-for-a-newbie-t56366.html?hilit=starter

starter-chisel-set-for-a-newbe-t54056.html?hilit=starter

You can find plenty of similar threads using the search function (top right).

hope that helps a bit.

Hi Alan ,Welcome to the forum hope you have many years of enjoyment on here.
Nev has put you on the right track already ,so have a look and ask as many questions as want to .
/Somebody on here will offer an answer.

Nev , you are an ever ending source of info, You seem to hoard all the info. thats posted anywhere . :lol: :lol:
well done. =D>

boysie39":1weuuf1t said:
... Nev , you are an ever ending source of info, You seem to hoard all the info. thats posted anywhere . :lol: :lol:
well done. =D>

memory like a sponge me :) (that and too much time on my hands - i just searched the forum for 'starter'.)

Hi Alan, I have a british made lathe, very basic looking and in fact the motor had to be bolted down separately at the right distance. Not a bowl person, generally i just make replacement chair legs and spindles. You'll need to know what size bowl you want to make. Loads of lathes on ebay. kev.

In my opinion I would hold out to get one of the lots that comes up on eBay relatively regularly of a retiring turners hoard. Your budget is not going to get you all you need (as per Nev's post) as brand new. You money will be better spent getting a job lot.

nev":3vlf5ply said:
and dont forget the for sale section on this forum.....
one here ..for-sale-record-dml-24-lathe-stand-tools-t45817.html
Hi Alan
I bought this model lathe as a beginner's lathe and have stuck with it ever since! Is solidly built and reliable and should help you decide if woodturning is for you. If you then find you need to progress to a bigger lathe I doubt you will lose money when you resell.
Regards Keith

nev":3uutvx5p said:
and dont forget the for sale section on this forum.....
one here ..for-sale-record-dml-24-lathe-stand-tools-t45817.html

Thats mine :D For sale again (as it wasn't for a while) Things have changed though, no turning tools or stand with it as I never managed to raise the funds for the lathe deal which was to good to miss :( £80 ono now.

Latest posts

Back