What is a digital motor?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hudson Carpentry

Established Member
Reaction score
Just heard Dyson hoovers boost about a digital motor in an advert?

Now motors can be controlled by digital things but that don't make the motor digital.

What am I missing?

Hudson Carpentry":omknuo8c said:
What am I missing?

Knowledge about motors?? :lol: :lol:

They almost certainly use a brushless motor which has electronic commutation. These have a low mass neodymium rotor which allows high speeds with minimal mechanical wear and electronic speed control. Typically found in some electric model aircraft and all CD/DVD/HD drives.

hth
Bob

I dunno the detail, but this is on the Teknatool website re the Nova lathe;

'The DVR Motor works by pure magnetic attraction. When a magnet is switched on, an intense magnetic field is
created and pulls the tooth to line up with the magnet, and then the next magnet switched on, which forces the
spindle to rotate. A feedback loop senses the motors surroundings to actively
monitor conditions and performance.
This is unlike a ‘dumb’ AC or DC motor where there is no active management of conditions and the motors performance. The actions of the DVR motor are controlled by a computer chip. It constantly analyses (at 400 times per second for example, when running at 2000rpm) both the spindle position and the power required to maintain a given speed.'

If that makes any sense to you, then my work here is done! #-o

Greg

9fingers":jvyu0gir said:
Hudson Carpentry":jvyu0gir said:
What am I missing?

Knowledge about motors?? :lol: :lol:

They almost certainly use a brushless motor which has electronic commutation. These have a low mass neodymium rotor which allows high speeds with minimal mechanical wear and electronic speed control. Typically found in some electric model aircraft and all CD/DVD/HD drives.

hth
Bob

Bob,
Given your knowledge on these matters the following link on DVR motors might be of interest. http://www.ipenz.org.nz/ipenz/Forms/pdfs/treNz5.pdf

In passing what is interesting about this electronic stuff is how the Stuxnet software found, controlled and destroyed the target centrifuges.

for those interested http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2011/07/how-digital-detectives-deciphered-stuxnet/all/1 provides an interesting read, if you look beyond the flowery hyperbole the underlying project is fascinating

Yes it makes sense. The motor its self isn't digital, its just controlled by digital components. The rotary motion of the motor is controlled by magnets there for analogue. So there induction motors with controllers. Rather then analogue frequency controlling there speed its digital frequency. Just another thing to go wrong.

9fingers":2342czz4 said:
Typically found in some electric model aircraft and all CD/DVD/HD drives.

hth
Bob

I thought these type of motors are stepper motors?

EDIT: Stepper motors im thinking of the ones driving the lasers track.

Hudson Carpentry":4qtachlk said:
I thought these type of motors are stepper motors?

Same principle exactly, just depends on which field coils are switched and when, you either provide a continuous rotating Field slightly ahead of the Rotor position that keeps it spinning or you delay/interrupt the switching and hold the rotor in a given position.

The principle was in use way before the availability of modern electronics to provide the switching but the advent of and the ability to pre program requirements and interpret status millions of times a second with digital electronics allows the economic control of power levels only dreamt of 20 yrs ago.

Have a read through this, it just about covers the variations on the theme

Latest posts

Back