What higher-end bandsaw?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kicked Back

Established Member
Reaction score
I make guitars in a home workshop and currently have a Record BS350. I've got it absolutely dialled in to make nice straight cuts using all the usual advice here (Tuff saws, Snodgrass bearing placement etc.). But I hate switching blades to something that can make curved cuts and having to faff around with the setup each time. The saw also has a few quirks like an annoying fence that moves as you lock it down. So I'm thinking about setting it up with a thinner blade and dedicating it to curved cuts, and adding a beefier bandsaw just for straight cuts, resaw etc.

The current candidates are a Record Sabre BS450, a Laguna 18BX or a Hammer N4400.

The Laguna intrigues me, but it's nearer double as much money and has less rip width capacity. The Hammer was originally a prime candidate but then I saw some comments on here about people that had some issues. Record has the 5 year warranty...

Decisions decisions.

Any feedback on either of these saws or suggestions of alternatives? I will only consider brand new and it has to be single phase and not monstrously large current draw (16A is fine but I don't want to trip the 30A breakers on startup).

Thanks

There is a recent post in the forums here highlighting some concerns on an 18BX.

If you have been happy with the BS350, I'd add the BS450 sabre.

I think record power 5 year warranty is a bonus and I know it works after I had an odd issue on my RP lathe, they were excellent with their support.

If the Record Power BS350 meets all of your requirements now, except for changing blades, why not consider the Sabre 350 instead of the Sabre 450 and save over £500?

Guitars is a broad term, resawing backs and sides of acoustics with no room for error,
or bookmatched tops for electric guitars.
Itech and ACM might be worth a look.
If I had the money for new, I'd be looking at a very clean looking Centauro SCM and sticking a VFD on the thing, likely the best machine you could get.

If the Record Power BS350 meets all of your requirements now, except for changing blades, why not consider the Sabre 350 instead of the Sabre 450 and save over £500?

There's a few times I've hit the 350mm capacity. Also since it's just for straight cuts, I'd also like to use 1" blades.

Take a look at the SCM minimax S45 bandsaw.
It's the smallest of SCM's bandsaws and available in single phase.
Last time the pro woodworking show was on at the NEC (W2000) the main reason I went was to take a look at bandsaws for a men's shed.
At the bottom end of the machines on display at this "professional" show, the S45 was the saw that looked the best built to me.
I wasn't impressed by the Hammer models on show.
Now there was a big Panhans... lovely machine !

There's a few times I've hit the 350mm capacity. Also since it's just for straight cuts, I'd also like to use 1" blades.

I've never noticed that straight cuts rely on wider blades. I've made plenty of straight cuts with a 1/4-inch wide blade. Lately, I use a 1/2-inch M42 blade for resawing. I considered a 5/8-inch M42 blade, but Ian at Tuff Saws told me the BS350S might not be capable of providing enough tension for the wider M42 blade.

I've never noticed that straight cuts rely on wider blades. I've made plenty of straight cuts with a 1/4-inch wide blade. Lately, I use a 1/2-inch M42 blade for resawing. I considered a 5/8-inch M42 blade, but Ian at Tuff Saws told me the BS350S might not be capable of providing enough tension for the wider M42 blade.

I had a 1/4" blade on the BS350 and the stupid bearing system caused havoc since mine aren't machined properly (I notice the Sabre has the nicer kind). I also had a 3/4" blade but couldn't get it to sit on the top wheel where I wanted. Also don't think I could tension it properly. Now I'm using a 1/2".

You're probably right that I don't benefit from a bigger blade, though. The 1/2" has been fine so far but I haven't resawn with it. As Ttrees implied above, the resaw is make or break it with some expensive exotic woods, so will take any minimisation of risk I can get! Even if placebo :)

I was told my BS400 will struggle to properly tension a 1 inch blade although Record claim one can be used. I use a 1/2-inch M42 blade from Tuffsaws like Mike and it tensions fine plus delivers straight cuts. I cannot see any reason to use a larger blade and place undue stress on a machine unnecessarily.

Hi, i cant add to the topic, but id love to see some of your gits!!! I want to have a bash at an electric when i have time 🤔🙄

Hi, i cant add to the topic, but id love to see some of your gits!!! I want to have a bash at an electric when i have time 🤔🙄

I'm too self-critical of my 'work' to share it so far ;) 2022 is the year that changes... maybe...

What I really like about electrics is that you can actually complete a guitar in a day. Search YouTube for 'Crimson guitars 6 hour challenge' for what I think is the most interesting video I've ever seen.

Come to think of it, trying to build something so quickly is perhaps why I have nothing I want to show off? :eek:

It's the last tool I will ever buy as it will take me that long to save up, but once i have it ...

They are still made they way they always have with a decent big heavy frame that has no flex int it and the quality is supreb

Last edited:
I've got the hammer n4400. it's pretty good. it's beefy so can tension decent blades. fence is solid. table solid. I like how I can change blades and never adjust the tracking. the guides on mine a bit worn I think and felder ceramic guides are just ridiculous prices.

I'm too self-critical of my 'work' to share it so far ;) 2022 is the year that changes... maybe...

Well, its a bit like guitar players.... only something like 10% of the population pick up a guitar and only 10% of those actually learn and play to a good level..... so thats 1 % of the population, so at any given time, you are still better at guitar than most of the population!!

Same goes for making one, i doubt many people do, so even a thrown together oil can guitar will be better than most people will ever achieve!

Have you considered second hand. I have a multicolored bs600. More capacity and power. 3hp 3 phase run through an abb inverter drive so variable speed. The whole set up was under £900 a d easily cuts 200mm x 2mm veneers

Axminster's 'Trade' range are well worth a look.. 2 years ago I brought the AT3086B model and I couldn't be happier with it. Nicely made, with more re-saw capacity than I'll ever need (356mm), it makes light work of cutting guitar tops, etc.

Latest posts

Back